Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectJust saw it...(SPOILERS for sure)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=106775&mesg_id=106919
106919, Just saw it...(SPOILERS for sure)
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Jun-09-12 04:53 AM

FIRST: my suggestion: DEFINITELY see it in 3D (3D Imax if Possible)....

visually speaking....I was 100% sold in the first opening scene when the... ))SPOILER STUFF COMING>>

...Engineer is on Earth creating us by sacrificing himself <thats my interpretation of that scene at least. Could be literally interpreted or could be religiously metaphorically interpreted too, ie:

'Engineer' sacrifices himself to create new species-humans = 'Son of God' sacrificing himself that we (humans) may live.

Again, those are the 'two' ('same' in a way) takeaways that i got from that initial opening breathtaking scene....

....and damn what a scene it was!

i mean, for ME it was jaw dropping. FULL of visual depth, wonder, beauty, creepy and coolness. multi-textured & visceral...that scene kicked ass in my opinion. took my breath away...and like i said, it alone was worth every penny I paid to see in Imax 3D. I told my wife on the way home that it would be great to be able to project that scene full size on our wall at home and replay it over anytime i felt like i needed some movie magic awesomeness....

on the way home we talked and we both LOVED the film and will definitely be going back to see it again. But then again, we are acknowledged 46 year old movie junkies...sci-fi, comic, fantasy thriller fans especially. Ridley's 'Alien' was of course one of my all time game changer favorites, as well as Blade Runner which was another different kind of gem as well...so, yeah, WE absolutely LOVED 'Prometheus'. Thought it was visually breathtaking throughout, and should win awards for all of that art direction alone. And story-wise it had a full mix of things i like....some mystery, questions & wonder...gives ya some answers but not all...lays some things on the table for you but also leaves some things open to different possibilities...i loved it.

In my opinion it is NOT a 'mass-appeal'/'general public' movie though, and i don't think it was made with that goal in mind. ( of course i'm sure the studio WANTS it to have as much mass appeal as it can though and wants it make a gazzilion dollars, but unfortunately i have a feeling that the NON-movie fanatic wont be geeking out QUITE like we were and wanting to immediately see it again! i HOPE they do, but i'm not sure they will. And i dont think those who prefer more 'in your face instant gratifaction action' type of movies are going to appreciate some of the 'slow burn' steady build-up elements as much as folks like me who really dig the subtle set-up approach. (Dont get it twisted though, there are indeed some fantastic thrilling moments in this flick without a doubt!) Like i said, perhaps the NON-movie fanatic wont be geeking out QUITE like we were and wanting to immediately see it again...i HOPE they do though.

just like i HOPE that younger folks, (who have grown up IN the digital special effects age with CG-good and bad-all around them scince birth, and who are IMO somewhat jaded in some ways by that fact)...i HOPE that younger viewers can appreciate this movie for its absolutely stunning but subtlely awesome visuals....i do HOPE they will appreciate and enjoy it as much as i did, but do i have my doubts.

I am SO glad that i intentionally & successfully prevented myself from seeing any trailers for this before going to see the movie. It is a technique i use whenever i know something is coming out that i will absolutely see no matter what....if i KNOW i'm gonna see a movie, i avoid watching ANY trailers or reading ANY specific info on it prior to going to the movie.For me, it makes for a much more exciting movie experience and allows me to actually be surprised and to discover stuff and have the story unfold for me IN the moment.

i wont get into the story and theories now (cuz i need to get my ass to SLEEP) but i'll try to come back in the thread later to see what folks are saying about that and throw my 2 cents in too.

to quickly summarize though, for me this was another Ridley Scott classic....if i have to give it a comparison, 'Prometheus' is almost literally the 'baby' of "Alien' & 'Bladerunner' if those two movies did it and could have a child. For me, that is a GOOD thang :)

I WILL be seeing it AGAIN in 3D (which is surprising to me because i am NOT typically a fan of the 3D thing. THIS movie though makes that 3D experience VERY satisfying i must say.....

...and damn i cant WAIT for the BluRay of this one...methinks there's an R rated Directors cut just waiting for me to happily give my hard earned money for :)