Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMore thriller than horror, thought it was fine (SPOILERS)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=106775&mesg_id=106909
106909, More thriller than horror, thought it was fine (SPOILERS)
Posted by ZooTown74, Fri Jun-08-12 03:28 PM
This felt like the first piece of a prequel pie, and as such I thought it was fine. Not perfect. Not great. Not awesome. But good.

I also thought that of the 4 leads, Noomi and Fassbender were quite good. Charlize was cool but there was nothing to her character except cold, and the hints as to whether or not she was an android like David were scarce. I just had a hard time locking into her character, because all she was playing was a cold beyotch.

Also, Idris was okay, but again, wasn't given much to do except play the captain as a kinda-sorta horndog manly man. And sorry, black women, but I wanted to see him tap Charlize's ass. Yep, I did.

I was going to complain that I couldn't make an emotional connection to any of the characters in the movie. I mean, it's supposed to be a big deal when Charlie bites it, but I didn't really care that much. And I didn't care about Noomi until she had to do the operation on herself. And I didn't care when Idris drove the Prometheus into the big alien horseshoe. Again, it was tough for me to get behind anyone save Noomi after her wide-awake not-abortion of the alien baby.

But then I remembered that the original Alien didn't have a lot in the way of soul, either. That didn't come until Aliens, and that was mainly because Sigourney was looking after a little girl.

It sounds like I didn't dig it, but I did, mainly because of the effects and the performances of Noomi and Fassbender. Noomi kicked more ass here than in those shitty Swedish Millenium movies combined.

I know that some will say that the movie just sucks, citing the new PTP Law which says that any movie over 1:40 sucks (this ran 2:04), and claiming that the first 30 minutes could have easily been cut out. But I'd argue that you kinda-sorta need the setup of who everyone is, and what's going on, in order to proceed. I'd only agree in the fact that there was a LOT of essential but tedious backstory that had to be covered in that first half hour. But you certainly can't stop once the action gets rolling to explain why Shaw is the way she is.

Again, not the greatest film evar, but not terrible and certainly worth a look-see...