Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIn fairness, my buy-in point is... low
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=106361
106361, In fairness, my buy-in point is... low
Posted by Walleye, Thu Aug-02-12 06:28 PM
One of my few pleasant (which is different from "good" - I've got more of those) traits is that I'm a sucker for movie magic. These lists of plot holes and inconsistencies and laughable dialogue are like water off a duck's back with me. I can get them and even agree with them but once I've bought in that's pretty much the end of it for me. It'd make me a shitballs movie critic, but it also makes it pretty uncommon that I don't have a terrific time when I'm out at a movie.

If I get movie magic *and* the opportunity to confirm X, Y, or Z big idea about the world, then I'm doubly in.

The last one left me unhappy with what seemed like an endorsement of consequentialism, that there was something heroic about Batman's sacrifice of his reputation for a useful lie. This one wasn't some act of ethical boldness that would make Anscombe proud, but it did seem to realize what was wrong with the last one. I appreciated that.