Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectTDKR didn't have plot holes. It had a hole that it called a plot.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=106241
106241, TDKR didn't have plot holes. It had a hole that it called a plot.
Posted by SoulHonky, Tue Jul-24-12 10:47 AM
It was like a Roger Moore-era Bond movie, except it took itself seriously and thought it was making social commentary. Kudos to Nolan for taking a more serious route and swinging for the fences but he completely botched the execution of it on this one.

Avengers had stupid plot holes but the tone allowed for more forgiveness of issues. That being said, if you didn't like the tone or find it fun, I'll readily admit it was a dumb movie. That's where TDKR fans are different. They're calling it near perfect, Oscar worthy, one of the best action movies ever.

Spider-man had some corny bits but Raimi knew that and the tone allowed for it. He had campy moments and played them as campy. Nolan didn't seem to get the camp value and also placed camp in some terrible places, like throwing in a stupid line after the underwhelming death of the main villain of the movie.

If someone gave fans that script and said it was fan fiction, it would have gotten torn apart. And rightfully so.

As for a list of movies better than TDKR?

Superman
Superman II
Blade
Blade II
Spider-man
Spider-man II
Avengers
Iron Man
Chronicle
Unbreakable
The Incredibles
Hellboy
Hellboy II
X-Men
X2
X-Men: The First Class (disappointing but better still)
Batman (the Burton version)
Two films I liked more than others: Constantine and Sky High
Watchmen
Kick-Ass
Probelematic but better: V for Vendetta, Hancock, Captain America, Thor

(And no, none of those films are flawless. Nobody is saying they were.)

Honestly, I'd put it on par with Iron Man 2. I like the character but the execution was terrible.