Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectTRUE TO MY WORD, LEGITIMATE REPLY ENCLOSED
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=106062
106062, TRUE TO MY WORD, LEGITIMATE REPLY ENCLOSED
Posted by Beamer6178, Thu Aug-16-12 10:00 PM
first off, gotta apologize for the delay, i know this shit is mad late but when i first saw the movie i was busy as fuck at work and as said, i sat almost in the front fucking row which does NOT work for real IMAX screens, i definitely missed shit the first time out. the second time, my black ass fell asleep (people with kids need to stay away from 10PM movies at night, at least ones that last almost 3 hours), but I was well rested when I left! Third time was a charm.

>*Bruce Wayne Chillin in France Smile*
Nigga was in Florence, Italy first off, not good for your detail game, but let's keep moving

>For those of you that don't know, GSM's are
>a genre of movie that can be enjoyed to death
>when you suspend any standard of a good movie
>and fixate on the awesomeness of a handful of
>scenes or one cool character. When examined through
>a standard lens, the acting in these movies is
>almost always horrid, and the storyline is usually
>full of massive, unforgivable gaps.
much of this willfull ignorance which you speak of can be applied to A LOT of movies that people love and definitely never call them that, but i'll stick to addressing your movie comments, i realize this was part of your build up.

>Like most GSM's, the story in DKR was absolutely
>horrid at worst and irrelevant at best.
it actually was pretty solid considering events transpired over about one year.

>Here are the facts:
>
>- By movie #3, nobody cares about the league of shadows
>anymore. It was tiresome by the end of BB. The "bring chaos
>to Gotham" angle is so unimaginative that the movie almost
>sounded like an Austin Powers movie (honestly).
dog, that's kind of what batman villains are all about, even back to the tim burton/joel schumacher shit. and it tied in well to BB since it was their behind the scenes mayhem that created him in the first place.

>- The entire plot is basically filler to keep us
>busy while we focus on a few things:
>
> a) Batman getting broken and healing and beating Bane
>(we're
> sitting and waiting for this shit the whole movie)
i mean any way we could we NOT be waiting on this, knowing bane was in it and knowing the comic story? doesn't mean the plot was just filler.

> b) Robin being born
this was less about Robin's birth and more about Batman's power to inspire, think about it, he converted his house into a haven for orphans, that's essentially a Batman farm system.

> c) The scenes between Batman and Catwoman

>Everything else is noise. Children being born in/climbing
>out of prison; chaos; bridges, league of shadows....
>...we don't fucking care. We're like "Break Batman's
>back, have him heal so I can go home and get some sleep."
that's YOU son, shit fit pretty well together and everything moved, 2:45 did not drag

>- Which brings me to Bane. We literally take him as
>seriously as Dr. Evil; We don't care about Bane because Nolan
>doesn't need us to. He's a vehicle, not an actual villain,
>which is why we can't fucking understand 60% of the things
>he says.
wrong. he's more human and has more actual motivation behind his actions than the Joker. Joker kills most everyone he deals with, if they don't serve a purpose. Bane let quite a few people live when he didn't have to.

>He sounds like Destro talking underwater. Thankfully,
>his voice could have been mute the whole movie, because I
>doubt
>that anything he says would have added anything.
nah i fucks with that "Sean Connery at a drive thru" voice. that was the funniest description I heard of his damn voice, someone on here said it.

>
>- In regards to Catwoman, we're mildly intrigued, and
>not only because we want Batman to die having fucked
>a woman hotter than Maggie Gyllenhall.
Amen, Cotillard allowed him to do that thankfully

>Her Robinhood
>story and enlightenment were forgettable but they could
>certainly have done worse with her. Good job overall.
well in reality, we're not sure what Robin Hood shit she's done, she saves a kid who stole an apple during anarchy but for the most part just get the sense she started because she had to, got good at it, then did a lot of it for kicks. I agree though, I was concerned with how she was gonna be handled but it worked for the most part.

>
>-The birth of Robin was well done. Probably the only
>cohesive story told the entire movie. The guy who
>played him was good. His intentions had rhyme and reason.
>Nolan actually sat down and scripted those scenes.
>Well done.
agreed, on my most recent viewing, it was kind of clear where he was heading throughout the film, not mad at it.

>- Commissioner Gordon was cool. I dig the range, him
>being forced into difficult circumstances. He can
>act.
Agreed

>- The whole "finding yourself" thing with Wayne climbing
>out of prison...LOL...we already learned that lesson in
>the Karate Kid movies, guy. I mean, geez. Just delete that
>shit, we didn't need it.
well the thing that stuck with me was that he basically built his rep off of not having fear, specifically not having a fear of death. it was first due to his hopeless outlook on life, his singular mission to fight crime no matter what happened to him, and the way in which he reduced his chances of dying (gadgets, body armor, etc). In BB, Falcone said it, Ras said it, in this movie Alfred said it and Bane said it, death was not something he was scared of, which became a weakness. He'd have gone up that rope 1,000 times till the dude broke down how much of a motivator fear of death could be, so it worked. I mean going back to his dad and shit and the bats coming out of one of the cracks was already done, but the needing to fear death made sense to me.

>- Not a fan of Alfred. The whole "I dream that I see
>you in France" thing was a direct ripoff of Ben Affleck
>"I hope to not see you in the morning" scene from
>'Goodwill Hunting'. Think about it. Its a DIRECT ripoff.
only saw that movie once so will not even argue that point with you.

>Alfred deserves better than to be crying in half his
>scenes. Have him do some ESSENTIAL shit in the movie.
>Don't have his character go out crying like a fucking
>pussy. Seriously.
he didn't cry in half. he cried when he told him about rachel and at the gravesite. the rest of the time he was getting beside himself but i mean come on, the dude who's essentially his son was running himself into the ground, you can't see how that gets to be too much for someone to deal with, especially considering he never wanted him coming back to gotham in the first place?

>
>- Again: the league of shadows angle was dumb. I almost
>spit out my gummi bears (damn right I ration them out
>during the WHOLE movie...got it down to a science)
starburst fam, both bad for teeth

>when
>Liam Neeson showed up, like Ben Kenobi's evil brother.
>I almost expected Bruce Wayne to reach out and go "Ben!!
>Ben!! Degaba system...must go to the degaba system!!!"
the nigga was in a cave having just been fucked up, i'm gonna give him a pass for being delerious.

>- LMAO @ the Scoobie Doo "twist." It worked perfectly because
>nobody cared about the bitch at the center of the twist.
>Like, who the fuck was she? Nobody was paying her any
>attention. We were happy Wayne tapped that, I guess...but...
>really, who the fuck was she? Oh, she was that baby who
>climbed
>out the sewer? Oh, ok. I mean, we all saw that mark on her
>back, so we KNEW she was a bad guy, but...we didn't bother
>to think about it because she wasn't interesting.
i mean i heard about her being part of the cast so i was kind of interested to see how they were gonna use her, cause in the comic/cartoon, she and bats always got down and even when she doublecrossed him she'd never let Ras kill him. so I wasn't expecting it to break like it did, but the non-responsiveness of the doctors in the pit when telling about the kid who got out was something that i'll admit I missed, most everyone I imagine thought that it was Bane who climbed out the pit. i'm not mad at the twist, but like i said, unlike Joker, it showed the humanity in Bane. Also, chick played major head games with Bruce, she got up in his head on going away somewhere and making him think there was something to live for after his ass hit rock bottom. Catwoman was his bottom bitch, he specifically was trying to get Miranda.

>
>- Lastly, Christian Bale was GREAT. His lines were dumb.
>his interaction with Alfred was LOL but Bale KILLED his
>scenes. He finally GOT Bruce Wayne. Shame, because its
>the end of the trilogy. He's only now starting to really
>get it. Dude had the whole game on lock.
i think he's been great throughout, showing the evolution of bruce from where it all started to where he ended. i remember frank complaining about TDK not having enough focus on bruce when in my mind, he was all up IN IT, specifically setting out to free himself of being batman by elevating dent as gotham's savior, using ethically questionable means (spying on people) when he realized he was going against a villain with no code (unlike League of Shadows and them, I mean they were on that moral superiority but they did have a code), continuing to sacrifice his own happiness, and finally, allowing himself to symbolize something that went against everything he believed in for the good of the city. i mean he played the fuck out of a melancholy tragic figure throughout this shit.

>
>
>
>- Which takes me to the best scene in the movie:
>
>
>
>Nope!!!! Wayne was CHILLIN IN FRANCE!!! That smile was
>GOLDEN!!! Ninja was CHILLIN with his thug bitch in
>Europe grinnin' at Alfred from across that cafe!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence

not even mad at this fuckup, since you brought so much energy to it

>Bwahahahahah
>
>
>That's the stuff of a great GSM, folks.
>
>
>Easily the best scene in the movie
>
>
>Just an amazing smile, no homo. He deserve an
>academy nomination JUST for the way he was posted
>up at that table. I was CHEESING just like him.
>
>
>Summary: I'm trying to like it, guys. There was enough
>cute stuff to qualify as a good GSM....but my god,
>Nolan makes it difficult.

aside from what i agreed with you above, i'll give my major issues with the movie:

-the stock exchange going from day to night so fast. it closes at around 5 so i could buy if after an hour or so of the chase, it would get dark, but in august-september it doesn't get THAT dark until much later at night.

-"prisoner" movement. how bruce got himself in, i get they were in wayne towers but no way in hell none of bane's people wouldn't alert him that bruce wayne was back. i can buy bruce getting back into the city dolo (he was trained as a ninja and knows the ins and outs of the city like none other) but him being seen publicly and bane not knowing shit until he lights up the bat sign in fire is ehhhhh to me.

-even how the special forces cats got in, they come in some rescue mission truck and motherfuckers let that fly when those dudes DAMN sure didn't look like relief workers

-not fond of the opening to the final battle scene. shit was dumb. handguns versus assault weapons? FOH. in 300, at least it was about numbers rather than superior weaponry of one to the other.

things that people complained about that I disagreed/was cool with:

-his fighting after being out of the game for so long. i mean he did NOT look the same, not at all. it was clear that he wasn't the same dude as TDK but that's cool since he was still better than anyone besides a beast like Bane. and he was never SUPPOSED to be able to fuck with that dude, he was out of shape, past his prime, and never matured into a more patient fighter, which bane alluded to when he fucked him up. during their last fight though, he still wasn't going to beat bane's ass, but he knew the mask was the key to getting him so that was legit.

-him and tate getting down in wayne manor. he just lost his money, which he clearly never gave a fuck about but it WAS something to fall back on. his mans bounced on him, he was still mourning his chick, i mean a nigga can't get no sympathy pussy?

-he wasn't a detective. FT, he peeped why kyle was there in the first place, found out who she was, and figured out what his prints were being used for.

-the batwing being on a rooftop with camo. Bane's crew was patrolling in tanks and shit, they pretty much figured they had the city on lock and had nothing to worry about with their threat to blow the shit up if anyone tried to breach. Now could they have found it, of course, but that hubris kept them from even seeing it as a threat.

-getting back to gotham in 23 days. with his set of skills and resources (what a rich guy ain't got friends in the middle east), not that big a deal. funny that no one blinked twice in batman begins when a spoiled brat ditches his ID and money, hops a boat, becomes a petty thief and a fierce brawler BEFORE anyone teaches him shit, who btw, found his ass in a prison that was walking distance from his home in the mountains. then after bruce burns the house down, he charters a jet and alfred is waiting for his ass???? um, ok niggas, nitpick TDKR and let THAT shit go LOL

all in all your takes weren't really outrageous even if i disagreed with them, but on my most recent viewing, a lot of stuff people complained about did make sense, even if some people just didn't like how it happened.

>I think my views on Nolan would a tad less harsh
>if Joss Whedon didn't just teach us what a really
>good film made my an actually smart, good filmmaker
>looks like.
I'm not going to offer any criticism on the Avengers because I really enjoyed that too, but it wasn't flawless.