Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMeh 2....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=106047
106047, Meh 2....
Posted by Voodoochilde, Sat Jul-21-12 05:27 PM
meh 2...well, maybe meh is not the right 'word' per-se' because it maybe infers 'bad' to some, i dont think it stunk...but it was 'alright'...it has some good & cool things, but overall i'd say, for me 'meh' sums it up similarly to post # 114 above....

some of my meh reasons for "Meh' are different from "Meh" post 114s reasons, but some are the same....

for example, i actually LIKED Banes voice, but 'maybe' not always for the reasons the director may have intended. I thought his voice was 'ironically somewhat humorous' because of the fact that it was coming from such a menacing LOOKING (and acting) figure...that odd mixture of fierce menacing figure with the muddled 'unique' voice/accent kinda throws you off kilter and in a way.... in some situations it worked because that 'off-kilter-ness' had a subtly unnerving effect, while in other situations it was actually just plain funny. (i actually agree with post #114 that it sounds like Patrick Stewart but i'd also through in a dash of Grover from the muppets too, and there you have it...Banes voice)

so again, i actually didn't mind Banes voice at all (again, 'maybe' not always for the intended reasons) but i found myself kinda delighted when he was in a scene. Dont get me wrong, I absolutely DO think his screen presence was menacing, threatening, unpredictable powerful and frightening...the actor did a great job in that regard, and so perhaps the voice mix DID work as intended on me after all? (or at least, didn't detract so much as to make Bane lose that 'fear factor' effect.)

So I liked Bane.

another thing i liked (that i actually THOUGHT i would HATE going in to the movie) was Anne Hathaway's portrayal of Catwoman.

I thought Joseph Gordon-Levitts acting & character were great too.

Michael Cain is always great, so thats a given and his Alfred is right on target and could not be any better.

I like the Bike and i've always loved the Tumblers. (i WANT both)

Bale as 'Bruce' is solid as usual. (though i too think his bat-voice comes off as funny)

I really liked the Scarecrow too...that Murphy guy does him great...

so you'll see i'm not a complete hater for the sake of hatin...there is some stuff that i really dug....but....

As a movie though, there were a lot of logistical things that just kinda bugged me througout (i wont list them ALL now, but i think i've seen many listed in earlier posts that i glanced at. Maybe i'll come back and list them all though)
Not a fan of some of the dialogue (seemed very 'over written' in many places). It seemed very aware of itself if you know what i'm saying.
And in some situations, there was a lack of logic and/or efficiency in either a characters choice and/or plot direction...it seemed to me that they sometimes went about achieving their goals in rather convoluted ways, when there appeared to be easier more direct ways to achieve the same goals. Overall, as a movie it seemed to take itself a tad bit seriously....not that that that is ALWAYS a bad thing in a movie, but here, for me, i found myself sometimes kinda giggling when it it did...

so, i know i'm in the minority here, but my favorite of the 3 Nolan Bat films as a movie is actually Batman Begins. While I thought Ledgers Joker was GREAT in TDK, but as a movie, i liked the first one better.