Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectmeh
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=106012
106012, meh
Posted by BigWorm, Sat Jul-21-12 11:29 AM
Allow me to be the first hater.

I didn't like it.

Bane's voice was ridiculous. He sounded like Patrick Stewart. Yeah he looked perfect, but the voice didn't match up at all and in parts it came off as unintentional comedy. I was like please oh please have him say "Make it so."

In fact, at one point I leaned over to my wife and said "Use the force, Harry."

The scene with Catwoman disappearing on Batman "So that's what that feels like..." was a corny Tim Burton-ish moment that was totally out of place.

As I was leaving the theater, I realized that I really didn't enjoy this Batman reboot at all. The only highlight for me was Heath Ledger as the joker. I read that Christopher Nolan didn't mention the Joker at all in this movie out of respect, but for a character that was the centerpiece of the whole trilogy, I think it would have been far more respectful to weave the Joker more closely into the story, or at least the effect he had...instead of just never mentioning him again.

Christian Bale's Batman voice was still annoying.

Actually no, there were too other highlights: 1) in this movie, were the two cameos by Prison Break actors. Which probably wasn't a big deal to most of the people in the audience. But I thought it was fun. 2) When they showed a photo of Bruce Wayne's lost love, it seemed like they used a pic of Katie Holmes, instead of Maggie G. For some reason that was funny to me.

Call me a hater, or say I'm mad or whatever. I don't care. The Avengers was fun. Prometheus was fun. This movie was not fun. I didn't care about the characters, the ending was cheesy, and in general the whole thing took itself way too seriously.

Plus, I read this partly as huge commentary on the Occupy Wall Street movement. It plays out like a rich person's nightmare. The conflicting "Give Gotham City back to the people" message along with "I'm blowing up this whole city" along with the big standoff between cops and Bane's men...almost offensively bad.

Sorry to piss in the cornflakes. You guys can go about loving this movie and re-watching it. But a lot of you guys shit on Prometheus and I thought that was terrific. So we're even I guess.