Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI thought it was the best of the trilogy. (no spoilers) (link)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105846&mesg_id=105893
105893, I thought it was the best of the trilogy. (no spoilers) (link)
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Jul-20-12 03:19 AM
My review-- to get me paid, Cere :)-- here (suggestions of spoilers, but nothing specific): http://exm.nr/PiHpXL

The good:
- storytelling best of the trilogy. tight, tight, tight.
- huge ambition. I admired it.
- Bane is a fiercely worthy adversary
- the Joseph Gordon-Levitt plotline. Perfectly handled, even if I saw the ending of it coming.
- it's unmistakably a film where Bruce/Batman is the most interesting character. Most sequels get overly cluttered and don't pull that off. Loved that here.
- I coulda sworn Catwoman would bother me, and while a couple of her one-liner moments are cringeworthy, she basically pulled it off. I liked what she represented (that scene with Bruce-- "you're one of us now"-- really nice).

The ehh:
- the things that are enormously silly in the film (which I hint at in my review) which never bother me in comic book flicks with a lighter tone always stick out like sore thumbs in this trilogy for me. cliches are fun in some flicks... but since Nolan's clearly tried to create a grittier reality here, it always disconnects me for some reason
- the exposition/speechifying Nolan has his characters do... and repeat... and repeat. But I'm immune to it to some degree now, and it was less annoying here for me than in TDK
- it seems to me that Marion Cotillard could have taken a far more straight forward path to achieve her objective, lol
- I could nitpick other stuff-- I still think Nolan doesn't shoot action as well as others, and in a movie with not much CGI, some of the switches to CGI stood out-- but it's mostly those three points

I'm just bitter at this point that I'm not in love with it like you guys are. I badly want to be in the club, it just doesn't do it for me on that level. I guess I just kind of have to accept that it's not the kind of thing that REALLY floats my boat like it is for others. :-\

Still, I have crazy appreciation for what Nolan did to close it out, and in my mind, it's absolutely the best of the three, flaws and all.