Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBook Post: What the hell are you reading?
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105265
105265, Book Post: What the hell are you reading?
Posted by dunk, Thu Jan-21-10 02:10 AM
I went through a short Haruki Murakami phase with Norwegian Wood, After Dark and The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle interested me the most. The war stories from Lt. Mamiya and Honda, those odd Kano sisters and especially May Kasahara. Hurakami has a knack for writing female character and giving them distinctive personalities, unlike most male authors I've read. I didn't feel all that concerned for Kumiko throughout the story, mainly cause she was a bitch to Taru. I lost some interested in the story during some of the interactions between the tw because of Kumiko's attitude toward Taru and I really wanted him to just leave.

I can go on forever about that book but ill stop here. Ill just say that Norwegian Wood is a fantastic book as well (and I really connected with Taru since my life eerily mirrors his) and After Dark was just alright. Now I'm checking "A Farewell To Arms" by Hemmingway which I'm really enjoy so far, then I'm returning to "2666" by Roberto Bolaņo so I can finally read it all, "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and "Lucinella" by Lore Segal (read first chapter in the bookstore and throughly enjoyed it so far.

so, what the hell are you reading?

105266, I'm actually reading "The Wind Up Bird Chronicle" right now!
Posted by quakka1, Thu Jan-21-10 02:21 AM
Absolutely fantastic so far.
105267, I'm about 400 pages deep into James Ellroy's "Blood is a Rover"
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 02:36 AM
I finally built up a head of steam plowing through that a few nights ago. I imagine that I might be able to finish it by the end of the weekend.

After that, I'm going to knock off "The Road." I actually started it a few weekends ago, got about 80 pages into it, and put it down so I could work my way through "Blood is a Rover." I figured that I could put it down and pick it back up pretty easy, without fear of forgetting who's who or the plot-line or whatever.
105268, RE: I'm about 400 pages deep into James Ellroy's "Blood is a Rover"
Posted by Travis Holden, Thu Jan-21-10 09:04 AM
How do you like "Blood is a Rover" so far? I read the whole LA Quartet and American Tabloid and have been meaning to knock out The Cold Six Thousand and Blood is a Rover.
105269, "Blood is a Rover" is cool, but it's exactly what I expect from Ellroy
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 10:51 AM
at this point. It's a continuing of the themes and characters from the previous two. The plot unfolds similarly, characters do the same type of things, and everyone talks in the same voice. The latter especially apparent in this one, because, for the first time, Ellroy uses diary/personal journal excerpts in-between chapters (like the news articles he's used before).

For me, this book started off good, dragged a little after about 100 pages, but then picked up for the last 150. I do find one the central characters in this particularly annoying, if for no other reason that he seems like a blatant stand-in for Ellroy himself, making it an exercise of fan-fiction in one of his own novels. However, I do hear this particular character is really based on a real person who isn't Ellroy, so I'll kind of let it slide.
105270, i really enjoyed the cold six thousand.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-16-10 04:51 AM
felt all too real.
105271, David Korten's The Post Corporate World
Posted by ryc, Thu Jan-21-10 04:51 AM
I'm at about 50% "why the hell did I waste time reading that?" with the last bunch of books I've read, but this seems ok so far. Dude is taking great pains to distinguish existing capitalism from market-based systems, which he's an advocate for, so it'll be interesting to see where he takes this
105272, East of Eden by Steinbeck
Posted by crow, Thu Jan-21-10 05:38 AM
I somehow missed Grapes of Wrath and Of Mice and Men. I don't know how since I have always had a massive library and voracious reading habit.

The book is so beautifully written and I smile while I read it thinking how fantastic the writing itself is.
105273, Yep, reading steinbeck is an experience
Posted by Awburn, Thu Jan-21-10 12:16 PM
>The book is so beautifully written and I smile while I read it
>thinking how fantastic the writing itself is.

i felt that way also about War and Peace and CS Lewis's Mere Christianity
105274, I really do need to tackle "East of Eden: and "Grapes of Wrath"
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 12:26 PM
The latter has been sitting on my bookshelf for years. I like everything I've read by Stienbeck ("Mice and Men", "In Dubious Battle," "Cannery Row," and "Sweet Thrusday"), but now I really should find some time to work my way through his tours de force.
105275, East of Eden is thick
Posted by crow, Thu Jan-21-10 05:08 PM
and with lofty themes and all but it really doesn't feel like a chore. The reading goes by smoothly and quickly.
105276, The Winter of our Discontent is a great one.
Posted by Awburn, Thu Jan-21-10 09:16 PM
Grapes is long but easy to ready. Still have to read east of eden.

Tortilla Flat is better than cannery row imo. but i read tortilla flat first, and they are so similar that reading order may have influenced my appreciation for cannery row.

i have heard the pearl is on of his best as well.
105277, as much as I love the other two, and I love them a LOT
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 12:28 PM
East of Eden is, to me, his master work.

~ ~ ~
All meetings end in separation
All acquisition ends in dispersion
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105278, I just finished "What Is The What" by Dave Eggers & Valentino
Posted by IslaSoul, Thu Jan-21-10 07:02 AM
Achak Deng

It wasn't an easy read, I liked it though.

before that I read

"Essays In Love" by Alain De Botton

& "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close" by Jonathan Safran Foer

I think I'm going to start reading "Cloud Atlas" today,
some OKplayers recommend it, so I'm curious.

As far as non-fiction, I think I'll start in Naomi Klein's "The Shock Doctrine", I liked "No Logo"...so I'm familiar with the author, I guess I will like this book also.
105279, did you see this short discussion about Wis theW?
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 12:16 PM
http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=494334&mesg_id=494334&listing_type=search#494488

probably you did

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105280, Yes,
Posted by IslaSoul, Thu Jan-21-10 01:07 PM
>http://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=494334&mesg_id=494334&listing_type=search#494488
>
>probably you did

And I found myself agreeing with this:

'I felt that Valentino's voice was too distant, like he would describe events and I wouldn't *feel* them.'

I've been looking for "We Regret To Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families?"

but I'll have to order it.

I bought "Cloud Atlas" on the strenght of your praise for it.

If I may, I also have a recommendation you might like, this being

"Tonguecat" by Peter Verhelst
http://www.amazon.com/Tonguecat-Novel-Peter-Verhelst/dp/0374278431/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264097563&sr=1-1

He's one of my favorite writers.
105281, thanks -- I made a note of it
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 01:36 PM
it sounds really great

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105282, I'm reading one of his earlier works... A Hearbreaking Work...
Posted by Billy The Kid, Mon Jan-25-10 11:55 AM
I'm really enjoying it thus far. I think it has to do more with his writing style. What did you guys think of that novel?
105283, the first 120 pages are really really great
Posted by janey, Mon Jan-25-10 12:02 PM
then, while it remains entertaining, the story pretty much devolves. But there's a descrption of a funeral near the end of the book that makes reading the rest of the book worthwhile. But really, as he says at the beginning, you can stop at page 120 and not miss much.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105284, OIL! by Upton Sinclair
Posted by thoughtprocess, Thu Jan-21-10 08:54 AM
This and There Will be Blood are REALLY different.
105285, I really want to read Oil!
Posted by dunk, Thu Jan-21-10 01:22 PM
I told myself I'd read it after seeing There Will Be Blood and still haven't got around to it.

How is it so far?
105286, it's good, but i'm not sure i'd like it as much if i didn't love TWBB
Posted by thoughtprocess, Thu Jan-21-10 01:46 PM
>I told myself I'd read it after seeing There Will Be Blood
>and still haven't got around to it.
>
>How is it so far?

i may have given it up if i weren't interested in studying the differences between the movie and book. so if you're into that(and there ARE a lot of differences) then i'd give it a read. just know it's very long and it goes into detail about everything. i know more about drilling than i ever wanted to.
105287, Eh, that's Upton Sinclair though
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 02:10 PM

>just know it's very long and it goes into detail about
>everything. i know more about drilling than i ever wanted to.

That's his specialty. Read "The Jungle" and you'll know more about the meat packing industry than you'll ever what to. Like waaaaaaaaay more than you'll ever want to. And you'll be happy that you didn't eat meat in the '20/'30s.
105288, haha, yeah i never got around to the jungle.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Thu Jan-21-10 02:11 PM
>
>>just know it's very long and it goes into detail about
>>everything. i know more about drilling than i ever wanted
>to.
>
>That's his specialty. Read "The Jungle" and you'll know more
>about the meat packing industry than you'll ever what to. Like
>waaaaaaaaay more than you'll ever want to. And you'll be happy
>that you didn't eat meat in the '20/'30s.

my friend gave me that impression.
105289, I actually never read it either
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 02:13 PM
It was required reading for some of my class in 10th grade. Fortunately, not in my history class. I don't think I could make it through it, even now.
105290, hmm, ill still give it a look
Posted by dunk, Thu Jan-21-10 10:43 PM
i've read book before that have gone into hyper-detail about so it shouldn't be too bad. Plus, like you, I'm interested in what he took out of the book to create the movie.
105291, it is interesting, just very wordy.
Posted by thoughtprocess, Fri Jan-22-10 08:06 AM
the good thing is the chapters are broken down into MUCH smaller sections, like 2-5 pages, which is perfect for how often i have time to read.
105292, Libra
Posted by Travis Holden, Thu Jan-21-10 09:08 AM
Just started reading Libra by Don DeLillo. Historical fiction at its best.

The Royal Family by William T. Vollmann is on deck.
105293, you know, when you read Libra
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 12:01 PM
you should bear in mind that DeLillo didn't make up a single word that comes out of the mouth of Oswald's mother. Improbable as it seems at times, everything he has her saying is quoted from her testimony at the Warren Commission hearings.

I love that book for many reasons, not least of which is the backwards/forwards storytelling device and the convergence of time.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105294, brilliant book
Posted by jasonprague, Thu Jan-21-10 01:09 PM

PEACE
105295, Libra is genius at work
Posted by blue23, Fri Jan-22-10 09:17 AM
DeLillo is difficult but so rewarding...
105296, Just started reading a galley copy of Geektastic
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Jan-21-10 09:14 AM
(BK sidewalks = the best library ever) The book is a short-story collection that centers around "geek culture." So you've got the West Side Storyish tale of a Klingon chick hooking up with a Jedi trainee at a scifi Con. A story about a cheerleader hiring "geeks" to help her learn about "their" stuff for the team QB, who's got a passing interest in it.

Good stuff so far.
105297, ha ha that sounds like a lot of fun :-)
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 01:41 PM

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105298, the version I found, those were the first two stories
Posted by magilla vanilla, Thu Jan-21-10 02:53 PM
and they're blasts. The Klingon/Jedi one is in alternating voice and really well written.
105299, and here's the author list
Posted by magilla vanilla, Fri Jan-22-10 11:00 AM
Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci
Tracy Lynn
Scott Westerfeld
Cassandra Clare
M.T. Anderson
Cynthia Leitich Smith and Greg Leitich Smith
David Levithan
Garth Nix
Lisa Yee
Kelly Link
John Green
Barry Lyga
Sara Zarr
Wendy Mass
Libba Bray
105300, Just started The Lost Symbol
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-21-10 09:24 AM
Then Alex Cross Trial
Then Andre Agassi bio
then the last Dennis Lehane book whatever that was

then I may do the Star Wars trilogy
105301, que?
Posted by Drizzit, Thu Jan-21-10 10:26 AM
>then I may do the Star Wars trilogy

are you talking about one of the spinoff trilogies or books written after the movies were released? seems strange.
105302, Ceej, you're breaking Drizzit's heart. (c)Padme Portman
Posted by FortifiedLive, Thu Jan-21-10 10:28 AM
105303, I have 3 hardcovers I got a while ago
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-21-10 10:30 AM
and I never read them. I think they may just be episodes 4-6. Are u saying there would be no point?
105304, i find books coming after movies strange.
Posted by Drizzit, Thu Jan-21-10 10:41 AM
books before movies make sense to read to see what the movie dropped, cut or ignored altogether.

reading a book written about a movie after it dropped never made much sense to me, however, i believe the star wars books for 4-6 do provide some new material or stories. not sure though as i haven't read them.

i thought you were originally talking about the Zahn trilogy or some other books.
105305, To be honest, I dont even know where the books are
Posted by Ceej, Thu Jan-21-10 10:42 AM
I got them over 10 years ago, I may not even read them they just came to mind when I was posting
105306, this explains a lot.
Posted by Drizzit, Thu Jan-21-10 11:51 AM
>they just came to mind when I was posting
105307, the corner - david simon & ed burns
Posted by Drizzit, Thu Jan-21-10 10:28 AM
i have seen the wire, so the book is providing a "real" subtext to the show which only amplifies its greatness.

taking some time, but i am not much of a reader. engrossing, though.
105308, RE: Book Post: What the hell are you reading?
Posted by theMindofFury, Thu Jan-21-10 10:32 AM

"Everything Ravaged, Everything Burned" by Wells Tower

C

"This brother is free; I'll be what I want to be."
105309, how is that? I just ordered it from Amazon
Posted by jasonprague, Thu Jan-21-10 02:46 PM

PEACE
105310, did you hear the bookworm episode on it?
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 02:56 PM
http://www.kcrw.com/etc/programs/bw/bw090716wells_tower

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105311, RE: how is that? I just ordered it from Amazon
Posted by theMindofFury, Thu Jan-21-10 04:03 PM

Two stories in. Not blown away yet but it's decent.

C

"This brother is free; I'll be what I want to be."
105312, Last week I read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 12:12 PM
So then I couldn't decide if I liked it so much because of the period or because of the writing.

So I bought another book by her, and I also bought that Philippa Gregory book, "The Other Boleyn Girl", yes I'm embarrassed to admit it but it's true, I did. I didn't realize until AFTER I had purchased it that Scarlett Johannsen and Natalie Portman are on the cover LOL

So now that I've finished it, I started Wolf Hall again. The Gregory book helped me get straight in my head who some of the characters are and I think now the second time through I'm getting more of the history along with the really great writing.

I'm also about 2 chapters into the new John Burdett book and I would have expected to plow through it really quickly but Henry VIII is so captivating (actually, when you think about how many books and movies and so forth there are on his reign, it *is* kind of fascinating how obsessed we can be about him).

I'm also a few chapters into Atul Gawande's new one, The Checklist Manifesto. He's great, as always, and I saw him talk about it last week.

Also, on the recommendation of someone here, was it Wordman? I have The Epicure's Lament queued up.
~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105313, I bought that book for my mom for her birthday
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 12:22 PM
She's a fanatic for anything written about Henry VIII and Queen Elizabeth (and pretty much any movie/TV series about the subjects as well). I believe she thoroughly enjoyed it as well.

>So I bought another book by her, and I also bought that
>Philippa Gregory book, "The Other Boleyn Girl", yes I'm
>embarrassed to admit it but it's true, I did. I didn't
>realize until AFTER I had purchased it that Scarlett Johannsen
>and Natalie Portman are on the cover LOL

LOL, yeah that got turned into a shitty movie a few years ago. Eric Bana as Henry VIII. I don't actually know if my mom has read the novel.

>Also, on the recommendation of someone here, was it Wordman? I
>have The Epicure's Lament queued up.

I think it was Walleye who recommended that. Shee-it, I've literally got STACKS of books queued up based on recommendations from that post.
105314, the thing that is really cool about Wolf Hall
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 12:27 PM
Well, maybe the best way to illustrate it is to tell you that Wolf Hall is the name of the Seymour ancestral estate. The book is about Thomas Cromwell, advisor to Wolsey and later Secretary and Treasurer to the King, which is in itself counterintuitive, and although it talks about Cromwell's early life, too, it focuses on the period in which Katherine is being put aside and Anne Boleyn is coming to power. And we know who usurps Anne Boleyn in the king's affections -- Jane Seymour. So the very title of the book tells you that Mantel is telling the story in a different kind of way, approaching it obliquely.

But it's told almost exclusively from Cromwell's perspective, although she uses the third person. But she uses his name only to the extent that she absolutely must for clarity. I'm just really amazed by the quality of the writing, although I shouldn't be, it won the Booker.

I bet your mom loved it :-)

And you're right, it was Walleye. I was going to edit but since you corrected me, I'll just admit my forgetfulness here :-)

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105315, RE: the thing that is really cool about Wolf Hall
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 12:49 PM
>Well, maybe the best way to illustrate it is to tell you that
>Wolf Hall is the name of the Seymour ancestral estate. The
>book is about Thomas Cromwell, advisor to Wolsey and later
>Secretary and Treasurer to the King, which is in itself
>counterintuitive, and although it talks about Cromwell's early
>life, too, it focuses on the period in which Katherine is
>being put aside and Anne Boleyn is coming to power. And we
>know who usurps Anne Boleyn in the king's affections -- Jane
>Seymour. So the very title of the book tells you that Mantel
>is telling the story in a different kind of way, approaching
>it obliquely.

Yep, my mom alreeady gave me the full breakdown of everything after she finished it.

>I bet your mom loved it :-)

That she did.

>And you're right, it was Walleye. I was going to edit but
>since you corrected me, I'll just admit my forgetfulness here

LOL, it's all good. My memory for shit is kinda fading as well.
105316, My mother got me that for Christmas
Posted by Walleye, Sun Jan-24-10 11:36 PM
I finally gave her the okay to buy me some books-for-fun this year, and though I've enjoyed the early goings of the book it felt a bit odd to a get a bit of 16th century historical fiction for "fun reading" when my un-fun reading has focused on... take a guess... 16th century European history.

Still, it's a fine book. I like this kind of thing done well.
105317, McCullough - The Johnstown Flood
Posted by lonesome_d, Thu Jan-21-10 12:52 PM
terrific, esp. considering I had a relative who died in it.

getting caught up on a gang of Smithsonian and Nat. Geo issues from the past two years

and got 'Logicomix' out of the library and em really enjoying it more than expected. It's a biography of Bertrand Russell and his attempts to establish the foundation of mathematics. Part biography, part history, part logical expounding, and it works very well as a comic. http://www.logicomix.com/en/
105318, "the known world" -- ed "too uurea" jones
Posted by Basaglia, Thu Jan-21-10 12:59 PM
105319, My fave genre is apparently "airport lit"
Posted by k_orr, Thu Jan-21-10 01:04 PM
Non-fiction books meant to be ready by professionals on long flights. Quick/Easy reads with lots of fun facts or counter-intuitive ways to look @ things. Most famously pioneered by Malcolm Gladwell.

1) Checklist Manifesto - your boy Awul goes kinda hard on this one. It's a medical, financial, structural engineering, and aviation page turner. Knocked it out in 1 sitting.

Basically it's about doing very very complicated things. The reviews kinda miss the point imo. It's about 2 things.

Taking complex tasks and boiling them down to checklists.
^^All the reviewers seem to get this, and are like, "duh"

But more importantly, communicating that checklist to others.

That's the key insight, imo. That's where the magic happens, when people are accountable to each other and the checklist.

2) Updated 4 Hour Work Week - Tim Ferris outsourced the updated portions of the book, if you ask me. He doesn't really say much new this time around. But since I dl'd the first copy, buying this one for 14 bucks seemed cool.

105320, All of Gawande's books are terrific
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 01:40 PM
I kind of check for any book written by a New Yorker staff writer.

But I ran across another one right before Gawande's book was published. It's called Why We Make Mistakes, and although I've just glanced at it, it looks like something you might enjoy and I think it fits together with The Checklist Manifesto well.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105321, The Love of a Good Woman - Alice Munro
Posted by jasonprague, Thu Jan-21-10 01:11 PM
she is a master of the short story.

PEACE
105322, 1/4th the way into Nick Hornby's Juliet, Naked
Posted by Melanism, Thu Jan-21-10 01:36 PM
So far, so good
-------------------
<--LEMME AXE YOU SOMETHING!

http://blog.melanism.com
http://twitter.com/Melanism
http://seanlovesthis.tumblr.com
http://www.formspring.me/seanathan
105323, yeah I definitely think that one is his best in a long time
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 01:39 PM
If the themes work for you, Arthur Phillips' last one might suit you as well. "The Song Is You"

They're very different books -- Phillips & Hornby have different voices, and they're I think 20 years apart in age -- but there's the linking theme of music that I think works pretty well in both, in different ways.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105324, That's another one I'll get around to when it's in paperback
Posted by mrhood75, Thu Jan-21-10 02:15 PM
Hornby is the writer who's style I most admire/want to outright steal. However, I haven't read a novel of his sinc e"How to Be Good," which was only okay. I did like that three that have been turned into movies quite a bit.
105325, Yeah. A Long Way Down and Slam were better but still...
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 02:27 PM
They couldn't touch High Fidelity or About A Boy. Plus, of course, Slam is young adult fiction.

You know he recently wrote a novella that is part of a series to be used for adult literacy classes? So it doesn't write down to its audience but it may use words that are easier to sound out or whatever and it's shorter. Hornby's is about a porn star and his relationship to his mother, or something. Wide margins and only 85 pages.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105326, yeah, i need to pick this up.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-16-10 04:54 AM
i fell in love with hornby years ago but the relationship got pretty strained after about a boy.
105327, I will finish 2666 or I will tear down heaven and earth
Posted by Wordman, Thu Jan-21-10 02:34 PM
Between the acting, the writing, and the research, I STILL haven't finished this book - and I bought it the week it came out. This book is HUGE! I've started and finished other books in between reading this one.
I just started the second volume (I bought the 3 book slipcase edition) and I will finish this book THIS MONTH (...and this month I mean February).
So if you like heaven and/or earth, I suggest you keep on me to finish this book.
By the way - the book is great.

"Your current frequencies of understanding outweigh that which has been given for you to understand." Saul Williams
105328, also reading 2666
Posted by ajiav, Thu Jan-21-10 02:51 PM
105329, almost done with Three Cups of Tea
Posted by samgar, Thu Jan-21-10 02:52 PM
makes me feel completely lazy and selfish!!
kidding sort of but what an incredible human being
greg mortensen is..

<-two races of flavor
living side by side
105330, I haven't read that but from your description
Posted by janey, Thu Jan-21-10 04:12 PM
I need to urge you to read Mountains Beyond Mountains, by Tracy Kidder. It's the biography of Paul Farmer, the founder of www.pih.org and it is fuckin unbelievable. It could definitely make you feel like you've thrown your life away LOL

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105331, thanks for the recommendation!
Posted by samgar, Fri Jan-22-10 02:07 PM
Im reading Stones In to Schools after since it's sort of
the follow up to this but ill check for that when Im done..

I WAS IN THE POOL!
105332, At home: Babbitt. At work: Monkey.
Posted by Duval Spit, Thu Jan-21-10 03:02 PM
I just started Babbitt, butI can already tell I like the story and it is exceedingly easy to read.

Monkey is a very easy read, but I go back and reread passages constantly cause it makes me giggle. I really want to see this turned into a graphic novel.
105333, tess of the d'urbervilles
Posted by UncleClimax, Thu Jan-21-10 06:29 PM
105334, The 200 Greatest Sci Fi Stories
Posted by atrackbrown, Thu Jan-21-10 08:46 PM
according to these lists. Those that I haven't read.

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_short_stories.html

http://home.austarnet.com.au/petersykes/topscifi/lists_short_stories2.html

Does anyone have any suggestions on an engaging physics book with a sci fi slant?
105335, Anyone?
Posted by atrackbrown, Sun Jan-24-10 07:26 PM
>Does anyone have any suggestions on an engaging physics book
>with a sci fi slant?
105336, RE: Anyone?
Posted by ryc, Sun Jan-24-10 10:46 PM
haven't read it but there's this
http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Impossible-Scientific-Exploration-Teleportation/dp/0385520697
105337, Ringworld-Larry Niven
Posted by AFRICAN, Mon Jan-25-10 05:43 AM
When it came out in the 70's MIT physics students went crazy apparently.
Great sci fi with enough techie shit to keep any physics head engaged.
Can't recommend it enough.
105338, catch-22
Posted by Awburn, Thu Jan-21-10 09:20 PM
its kinda corny at first, but hilarious and extremely creative once you dig in.
105339, Daemon - Daniel Suarez
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Jan-21-10 10:33 PM
It's boring me

Nerds and computer wonks will probably love it, though

also on Facebook
105340, 2666
Posted by Brave New World, Thu Jan-21-10 11:36 PM
Like several others I've just started reading 2666, I'm about 50 pages in so far.
105341, RE: 2666
Posted by blue23, Fri Jan-22-10 09:20 AM
Me too. I'm on to the 2nd book. Was really enjoying it. The section I'm on now is very dark and seemingly endless but Bolano always layers stories within stories so you're never bored for long. He really is a writer's writer. I'm curious how others who are not writers feel about his work. It's hard for me to imagine making the investment needed in his sprawling, rambling work if you weren't just constantly marvelling at how he had this many stories to tell.
105342, it's superman by tom de haven
Posted by shygurl, Fri Jan-22-10 01:47 AM
105343, For Whom the Bell Tolls & Confed of Dunces
Posted by dotcomse, Fri Jan-22-10 03:23 AM
I'm about 180 pages into Dunces and really don't see what all the hype is about. It's sort of a charming book, but Ignatius' dialogue is so whip-smart, it kind of takes me out of the book. I don't get why people say it was so life changing.

I'm 100 pages into FWTBT, and it seems like a better book. There are a couple things that are weird about it - primarily that any expletives are written as "unspeakable" or "obscenely" or things of that nature which I can't chalk up to being a product of poor translation - but it definitely holds my attention so far better than Dunces is.

I've been reading Dunces for several months. I've been reading FWTBT for three days. I have a feeling that I finish Dunces several months from now, long after I finish FWTBT.
105344, Moby Dick, and it's fucking good nm
Posted by Wrongthink, Fri Jan-22-10 03:57 AM
105345, I've only read about 80 pages of it
Posted by janey, Fri Jan-22-10 05:27 PM
I think it's great but for some reason I can't get through it. I keep saying I'm going to pick it back up. :-(

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105346, word i had to give it back to the library tho
Posted by UncleClimax, Sat Jan-23-10 04:38 PM
'fore i could finish it...but i was surprised how good it was...but damn, if it didnt get a bit ponderous in the middle...sorta like all action stopped and now we're gonna go into tedious detail about the 10324890 minute elements of whaling! not fun
105347, Hard Revolution - Pelecanos
Posted by Mynoriti, Fri Jan-22-10 06:38 AM
might be my favorite so far. i love that i went in not knowing it was a Derrk Strange prequel
105348, i want to read some pelecanos, but don't know where to start
Posted by pdafunk, Fri Jan-22-10 10:45 AM
detective fiction can be very hit or miss with me. any recommendations?
105349, RE: i want to read some pelecanos, but don't know where to start
Posted by blue23, Fri Jan-22-10 10:47 AM
I'm in the same boat. Let me know a consensus starting point or sure shot.
105350, RE: i want to read some pelecanos, but don't know where to start
Posted by Travis Holden, Fri Jan-22-10 11:43 AM
I'd recommend "The Big Blowdown." Hard boiled prose, DC setting, some Vietnam vets and crazy Greeks. Still like this better than the Derek Strange novels.
105351, I say start with Right As Rain
Posted by janey, Fri Jan-22-10 05:26 PM
That's one of his best continuing characters and the story line is great. I wouldn't start with his earliest stuff because he sharpened up as a writer later, and if you read the early stuff first you might not go on.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105352, Agreed, but now that i'm finishing the Strange/Quinn series...
Posted by Mynoriti, Sat Jan-23-10 08:08 PM
where would you recommend i go from here?

Night Gardener is the only one I've read outside of those.
105353, "Drama City" is really good
Posted by mrhood75, Sun Jan-24-10 09:25 PM
It's a pretty simple/straight forward story, but it's quite well-written. And the lead character is very "Cutty"-esque.
105354, sold, just off...
Posted by Mynoriti, Sun Jan-24-10 11:17 PM
>And the lead character is very "Cutty"-esque.
105355, Ha! I knew you'd like that.
Posted by mrhood75, Mon Jan-25-10 12:52 PM
And truth be told, I was sold on it when a fellow PTPer recommended it using the same description (it's an accurate one). I'm just carrying on tradition here.
105356, ^^^ listen
Posted by dunk, Tue Feb-16-10 12:53 AM
very good book. First thing I read by Pelecanos.
105357, read his who series with the character Dimitri Karras
Posted by dunk, Tue Feb-16-10 12:56 AM
I read "Shame the Devil" and it was amazing. He's very good at subtly building up the tension in the story and each character has such a distinct personality that the book never falters when it stray from the protagonist.
105358, The Shack
Posted by jigga, Fri Jan-22-10 02:13 PM
105359, Infinite Jest
Posted by Marauder21, Fri Jan-22-10 05:44 PM
Damn near all of my free time has been spent catching up on Lost, so I hope to finally get back to IJ this weekend.

After that I've got Before The Storm by Rick Perlstein and the new Klosterman book.
105360, White Noise
Posted by FamisZhackPierre, Fri Jan-22-10 09:29 PM
by Don Delillo...

The Art of Dramatic Writing by Lajos Egri...(are you an aspiring screenwriter?...get on this...but then again, if you're serios about the craft, you're already on it)

Asterios Polyp by Dave Mazzucchelli...

Breaking the Spell: Religion As A Natural Phenomenon by Daniel C Dennett

105361, I'm trying to read Blood Meridian
Posted by simpsycho, Sat Jan-23-10 02:20 AM
It's a real slow starter though, so I'm having a rough time getting through it.
105362, Stick with it
Posted by Wrongthink, Sat Jan-23-10 02:23 AM
The first chapter is solid, but then it goes through about three or four slow chapters, then it starts the build to the crescendo.
105363, i had the same experience but ending up loving it.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-16-10 05:05 AM
105364, ..like you can even read- ending up loving it??
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-16-10 09:39 AM
105365, Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Posted by Mau777, Sat Jan-23-10 08:39 AM
Just started today. I'm reeeally about to fly thru this book.
---
If you release what is within u, what u release will save you. If you do not release what is within u, what u do not release will destroy u.
105366, RE: Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein
Posted by ryc, Sun Jan-24-10 10:47 PM
yeah I remember it's one of the few nonfic books that gripped me like a good novel. Really easy to get through
105367, Scott Pilgrim series + Tokyo Vice
Posted by xbenzive, Sat Jan-23-10 12:15 PM
Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley
Tokyo Vice by Jake Adelstein
105368, All Souls Rising (Haitian revolution historical fiction)
Posted by doberman, Sat Jan-23-10 11:49 PM
The first in a trilogy. Pretty good thus far, will probably read all 3.
105369, Madison Smartt Bell is one of his generation's best writers
Posted by janey, Mon Jan-25-10 11:29 AM
and remarkably unknown.

~ ~ ~
All life ends in death
- The Buddha

|\_/|
='_'=
105370, RE: Book Post: What the hell are you reading?
Posted by alter_eg0, Mon Jan-25-10 01:13 PM
I'm reading...

The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Woa - Junot Diaz #latepass

and

The Selfish Gene - Richard Dawkins

105371, Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris
Posted by ZooTown74, Tue Feb-16-10 02:50 AM
Dope. Ass. Read.

http://thepunannydiaries.com

also on Facebook
105372, i'm currently reading iris murdoch's the bell.
Posted by shockzilla, Tue Feb-16-10 04:58 AM
i read 'the sea, the sea' recently and thoroughly enjoyed it. and before that, another of hers, though the title escapes me right now.

her writing reminds me somewhat of the ian mcewan that i've read.

good stuff.
105373, The Night Gardener
Posted by Deebot, Tue Feb-16-10 09:28 AM
my first Pelecanos....hope it's good
105374, Future Jihad by Walid Phares
Posted by BennyTenStack, Tue Feb-16-10 11:22 AM
It's about fundamentalist Muslim terrorist ideologies, why they do what they do, and what we can expect in the future.
105375, the gangster of love by jessica hagedorn
Posted by isulady, Tue Feb-16-10 12:20 PM
wild seed by octavia butler
105376, Up in the Air
Posted by TheRealBillyOcean, Tue Feb-16-10 09:53 PM
I'm about 70 pages in. It's aight so far.
105377, The Good Soldiers - David Finkel
Posted by jasonprague, Wed Feb-17-10 04:31 AM
Outstanding so far.

Hopefully this is the last book I'll read on Iraq.

PEACE
105378, Eating Animals / Jonathan Foer
Posted by Numba_33, Wed Feb-17-10 10:17 AM