Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: City of God
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=10521&mesg_id=10582
10582, RE: City of God
Posted by Theusualsuspect, Wed Mar-12-03 06:30 AM
I didn't know about this thread, but if I had, I wouldn't have hesitated to post.

I saw this film and like most people who posted, was blown away by it. I can't even begin to describe how much I loved it. It was extremely violent, but I wasn't even really caught up in that because of the story, or rather the different stories. Like someone mentioned earlier it is extremely fast-paced, but not to the point where you are unable to follow. As for the sub-titles, it's like any other foreign film, it doesn't really take away from the action on screen, well at least not for me anyway. I thought the visuals were stunning and it was beautifully shot, the style was incredible, very gripping and extremely intense. It was a fine balance between humour, violence and tragedy. It is definitely one of the best film I have watched in a long time. What I really enjoyed was the fact that it plays on previous gangster films, but somehow is completely original. By the way did anyone else think that Lil Zé looks like Beenie Man? LOL.

Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands. Meet exciting, unusual people, and kill them.- Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket.