Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThis is on a tangent but..I like artists.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=105153&mesg_id=105240
105240, This is on a tangent but..I like artists.
Posted by Leamas, Tue Jun-26-07 12:32 AM
But one any of those bands do what Bad Brains have done, please let me know.

Bad Brains did it all. Please dont lump them together. Maybe some people like what they think they are supposed to like. That's is not about being black,that just makes you a poser.

When The Bad Brains were really doing it, kids were getting beat up for liking that, and going to shows slugging it out with skinheads. So I dont think they really apply. There was no " hipster factor" in liking the Bad Brains.

I know where this convo is going. ( I think) Some people are posers and some arent.

IMO: Gnarls Barkley: Catchy single. Brilliant: no.
J'davey: Interesting concept, great look. Black Eurythmics? C'mon. Did the person who wrote that ever hear one Eurythmics song? I know they didn't.

I like artists who look at themselves as artists. That doesnt always mean I love the art. I love what Cody Chessnutt did. I didn't love all the music, but I loved that fact that he is an artist who is doing what he wants.

People dont wanna feel like they missed the boat on something, so they co-sign all types of shit they dont really support. But fuck that support Black Art. Sometimes you wont like it, but you should support the spirit of creating it.

I'm still waiting for Prince to make a heavy guitar record. I didnt like this 3121 shit. I still support him as an artist. ( That record had moments, but overall it was lost me.)

I'm sure I in no way answered the question, but I wanted to put that out there.