Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti almost
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=104217&mesg_id=104326
104326, i almost
Posted by jane eyre, Thu Jun-07-07 03:41 PM
read extremely loud and incredibly close first.

the other thing about the archived post:

anytime people discuss eggers, i think of an email exchange/interview that he typed out with the harvard advocate. back when the genius book was hot. part of his response to the interviewer:

"I think criticism, more often than not, completely misses the point, yes. The critical impulse, demonstrated by the tone of many of your own questions, is to suspect, doubt, tear at, and to take something apart to see how it works. Which of course is completely the wrong thing to do to art....When we pick at and tear into artistic output of whatever kind, we really have to examine our motives for doing so. What is it about art that can make us so angry? ...To enjoy art one needs time, patience, and a generous heart, and criticism is done, by and large, by impatient people who have axes to grind. The worst sort of critics are (analogy coming) butterfly collectors - they chase something, ostensibly out of their search for beauty, then, once they get close, they catch that beautiful something, they kill it, they stick a pin through its abdomen, dissect it and label it....Just as no one wants to grow up to be an IRS agent, no one should want to grow up to maliciously dissect books. Are there fair and helpful book critics? Yes, of course. But by and large, the only book reviews that should be trusted are by those who have themselves written books. And the more successful and honored the writer, the less likely that writer is to demolish another writer. Which is further proof that criticism comes from a dark and dank place. What kind of person seeks to bring down another? Doesn't a normal person, with his own life and goals and work to do, simply let others live? Yes. We all know that to be true."