Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectso that damn book of best american essays
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=104217&mesg_id=104307
104307, so that damn book of best american essays
Posted by janey, Mon Jan-08-07 07:51 PM
I've bought three books already just because of mentions in the essays, and so far they're great.

I'm currently reading a biography of Kinsey. We all know he's my hero, and this biography is just great. And part of what makes it great is that the biographer is clearly writing for a British audience and so he'll do these little tangents that explain things about the US that are fucking hysterical. Of course there are a bunch on sexual mores, but the one that really cracked me up was this little scree on weather in Indiana. He's like, "Strangely, Americans don't seem to realize just how INTOLERABLE their weather is" and then goes on to describe it in detail, and even has a footnote about the fact that while he was in Indiana doing research in 95, 600 people died in Chicago that summer (remember that?). He doesn't mention that that was a once in a lifetime weather pattern, lol, but apparently is willing to let his readers think that Chicago loses 600 citizens to heat every summer.

But it's a great book. I am thoroughly enjoying it and my respect for Kinsey has only increased.