Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe official THE PRESTIGE post
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=104003&mesg_id=104003
104003, The official THE PRESTIGE post
Posted by ZooTown74, Thu Oct-19-06 01:36 AM
Well... I will say there's lots to enjoy about this movie. But you really have to pay close attention. I might even take in a second viewing to catch stuff I might have missed. Story-wise, I can't say much about it because during the Q & A (NAME DROPPING ALERT), a certain bat-actor made us pledge not to give away any of the movie's "secrets." But the basic story is this: two rival magicians, though a series of events, engage in a particularly nasty game of one-upsmanship...

It's weird, but as the movie unfolded, I couldn't help but think about Tupac and Biggie. I know, the movie's based on a book, but the escalating beef between the two magicians seemed as silly as the East-West feud of the mid-90's.

Anyway, on to the performances. Both Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman were great. Michael Caine was fantastic, as usual. David Bowie was also solid. Scarlett? Well, she was nice to look at.

Script-wise? Well, I can see there being an uproar about... all of the stuff... yeah, you REALLY have to pay attention. In fact, I'm not spoiling anything by telling you that the first line of the movie practically is a... setup. There's a lot of flashing back and forward and back and flashing back-within-a-flashback... yeah. And there are a few things one can "predict" as it goes on.

I can see this one having the same effect on audiences as Marie Antoinette, but for entirely different reasons. Stuff happens in this movie that you'll either buy and go with, or you won't. But if you're having a hard time going with it, just think of it as a two-hour magic trick.