Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectScorsese on coke!
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=102463&mesg_id=102527
102527, Scorsese on coke!
Posted by Sponge, Sun Jun-03-07 06:13 PM
Loved it. It wasn't perfect, but classics or masterpieces don't need to be perfect.

- Loved the constant mixing of Apatow's 1) Freaks and Geeks-Undeclared writing and sensibilities and 2) the obscene-bawdy-frat boy 40-YOV and other Apatow-produced joints.

- Loved the ultrasound inserts throughout and the accompanying song. Shit made my eyes well up...no falling tears-o. It added to the impending feeling hovering over Ben and Allison.

- Shimmy Shimmy Ya over the Universal logo and throughout the opening? Instant entry into one of the best movie openings ever list. (After the song faded out or cut, some dude yelled out, "Fuck yea, Busta Rhymes.")

- The movie avoided the same ol', same ol' trap. Easier said than done. Making a poignant comedy w/o sappiness is a gift. Cherish this movie, people. (Yeah, yeah, it's not the only one, but still...)

- Apatow's visual sensibility seems to have stepped up from 40 YOV (e.g., great 2-shot of Ben and Alison going through his stuff after the earthquake).

- The bawdiness of the male protag's friends was a little hit-and-miss for me (it's all good, though, sometimes I laughed when nobody laughed; sometimes everyone else laughed when I didn't), but when it hit...it hit. As whole, I think the guys in 40 YOV were funnier, but here I can understand their role/function. Like I said, they did kill me (lots of times).

- Scorsese on coke. Pink eye visual joke (not so much the explanation)....other shit I can't recall off the top...

- Mann and Rudd brought the goods! Heigl was impressive especially at the OBGYN after pregnancy confirmation. Wiig killed it. Fuck some of this Rogen bashing on the 'net, he was great.

- The 129 minutes felt like 85 minutes.

- Didn't feel much of the 'shrooms sequence. But, did love the chairs and especially the one w/ the energy.

- Some of the joke digressions were, well, digressive as fuck. Wasn't feelin' the pubs and Hawkings ones.

- I'm amazed that people still find the "poking the baby in the eye" stuff funny. People were dying, man.