Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI agree (he's talking about legacy guys, not reviews at the time)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=101141&mesg_id=101188
101188, I agree (he's talking about legacy guys, not reviews at the time)
Posted by pretentious username, Thu Jan-19-12 11:01 AM
Out of those three I've only seen Crouching Tiger, but I'm tempted to extend this to foreign films in general. It's as if when they come out people say "Hey! You gotta watch this! Nobody is doing stuff like this in America! It's real innovative!" and everybody loves it when it first comes out, but then when we're discussing legacy/best of the decade/all-time lists it's tough for some people to place them (myself included). Maybe award shows and such have ingrained in us that these are great FOREIGN films, not simply great films, so we can't think of them outside of that category. This doesn't apply to everybody mind you, and I don't blame PTP artsy fartsies, but I personally just expect more love for these films at the end of the decade or on all-time lists than they get.

I've actually thought this about Pan's Labyrinth for a while. I personally didn't connect with the film, but for the hype it got when it came out I would've expected it to be on more end of decade lists, or maybe just higher on the lists it was on . It didn't seem like Let the Right One In (one of my favorites of the decade) was included on any, and that film was fantastic. But Crouching Tiger probably took the biggest drop, it's barely even mentioned today. To a degree I think it's tougher for films that come out at the beginning of the decade, but I still would've expected more love.