Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectLongo's List
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=100518&mesg_id=100580
100580, Longo's List
Posted by Frank Longo, Sun Oct-28-07 09:29 PM
NOTE: There are several films I haven't seen/haven't seen in a while that I'd really like to before I'd consider this anything close to a finished list. These types of posts are exactly what PTP needs, because they provide in-depth discussion and recommendations for others.

Now, on to Longo's List:

Honorable mentions:
City of God
A Mighty Wind
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
School of Rock
Ratatouille

10. X2: X-Men United. Not only was this the best live-action superhero film of all time, this is basically a flawless genre flick. The opening sequence is unforgettable, the performances are all terrific, and the special effects are really seamless.

9. Punch Drunk Love. This film isn't perfect-- it's a bit heady, with some blatant symbolism and at times the flow of the film feels a bit jerky. But the simplicity of the film is where its beauty lies. I think Sandler really pares it down, and the chemistry between Watson and him is something else. There are scenes in that film that I think really capture what it's like to be in love.

8. Monsters Inc. Insanely creative, funny from beginning to end, and as colorful as you'd want a film about an imaginary world to be. There's not a frame of this movie that isn't refreshingly clever, and it's an example of how animation should be used-- you're unlimited in your artform, you can put things on the screen that you can't do with live-action. Also, this has the best and most realistic depiction of a small child in a film that I can recall.

7. 25th Hour. This is to me the best Spike film since Malcolm X. He focused that post-September-11th anger, and takes all of his tangents without letting them distract from the characters or the story. Instead of Spike being a separate character in the film, he spices every character with a bit of Spike without removing what makes them unique. Some of the best character actors working today get a chance to really shine here.

6. Adaptation. When I first saw this film, the last third kind of bothered me. However, after a couple of viewings, it's grown on me, going from being perhaps a bit too self-referential to a joyous revelation in both genre writing and the desire to break free of those restrictions. Despite all the mockery, I think this film appreciates the difficulties of writing outside of genre outlines, but also the difficulties of making a film that remains creative while using the positives that genre writing provides. All of the actors are clearly having a blast, and the whole thing has a wonderful energy to it. I wouldn't say it's better than Being John Malkovich, but it's far better than it got credit for and begs for re-examination.

5. Memento. This film never ceases to surprise me, even now after I know the twist. It's just so layered, so wonderfully constructed. The suspense is incredible, and the acting stays very consistent which I find is usually a problem in films that jump around in time. It has humor, and the end of the movie packs a punch, again even after repeated viewings. The way it holds up even after you know the end of the movie is what impresses me most about this movie. Every thriller director who wants to make a film with a shocking twist ending should watch this as a lesson on how to do it.

4. The Incredibles. Pixar could have made up four of my Top 10 films easily. They have a joy to their writing and filmmaking that is unparalleled, and their animation is constantly astounding. This movie holds a special place in my heart because of my affection for superhero films. But that's not even the best part of the film. I saw the DVD of this shortly after watching Spielberg's War of the Worlds, which my chief complaint about was that I never believed that they were a family who were in legitimate danger and who cared about each other's wellbeing, supporting each other, not desiring to be separated unless completely necessary. Watching The Incredibles is like viewing the perfect model of a "family in peril" film. All the characters are totally believable, and the conclusion of the film is absolutely a riot. I'd love to see a Brad Bird-made sequel to this, because I'm sure it'd be just as good as the first.

3. Children of Men. The best live action film in 5 years, and one that I believe will stand the test of time with zero difficulty. The camerawork leaves me speechless, and when you combine it with the lack of answers the film forces down your throat, it becomes a very visceral experience, one that shoves you right next to Clive Owen for the whole film. There's not much I can say that hasn't been said. It's simply stunning. I remember watching the film totally still, and at one point I had to wipe my mouth, because my jaw was open and I was drooling. That's how sucked into the film I was.

2. Almost Famous. As the biggest Jerry Maguire fan on this board, I think this is Cameron Crowe's best film. Above Maguire, above Say Anything, above all of them. This is a classic, a perfect film about coming of age, about worship of celebrity, about pursuing your dreams. Every character is so vividly drawn that of course it's no surprise that Crowe writes this film largely based on his own childhood. Crowe is often criticized on his cutesy "Crowe Scenes", and how his films (especially Elizabethtown) can be seen as simply moving from one scene to the next. This one is seamless, where every scene is the next step in Patrick Fugit's growth. Every character grows from what happens in the film-- but some people don't choose to change. There are hysterical scenes, there are terribly sad scenes. It would be my favorite movie since 2000, if not for...

1. Murderball. I don't really know what to say. I tell people the general idea of the film to get them to see it, and they say "Oh, that sounds neat." But my descriptions can't capture how the movie will make you run the gamut of every emotion you've got within. The characters are better than 99% of the characters that can be invented and written into a fictional storyline. This is the type of story you can't make up. I'm a big fan of the "based on a true story" inspirational sports tale films, and this is the most inspirational of them all, and its done without a lick of manipulation or exploitation of these athletes' situations. I love documentary as an artform, and don't see enough of them, but this one stuck with me more than any other of the last several years.