Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: look up the scores for Grindhouse, The Departed, Insomnia
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=99215&mesg_id=99268
99268, RE: look up the scores for Grindhouse, The Departed, Insomnia
Posted by m, Wed Jul-16-08 11:24 AM
didn't see "the departed" or "insomnia" in theaters. saw "grindhouse" at the cinerama and had a good time. watched them again on the unrated dvds and still liked them. i enjoy good popcorn movies like "grindhouse." not much substance in "grindhouse," but i thought it was a fun movie. i don't recall coming on here recommending it (other than maybe for the trailers in between the two films.) i tend not to blanket recommend something unless i feel that everyone can find something in it they'd like.

thought "the departed" was good, but very slow. no where near scorsese's best work. and the original was much better. as for nolan's "insomnia," it paled compared to the original -- and the casting was what made it suffer in comparison. pacino and williams were awful casting decisions imo. (or at least seemed so because the casting in the original was so much better.) again, judging films based on opinions... whether it's RT, or comparing the remake to my opinion of the original.

didn't start using RT until quite recently when someone pointed out to me here on okp that the imdb was just members making ratings (i'd link to imdb for informational purposes only), while RT also included actual critics. so, my seeing the 3 films you mentioned had nothing to do with imdb or rt. i went to "grindhouse" because it got very good ratings in both of the local papers (from what i recall). usually one of them likes a film while the other hates it. when they both like it, there's something wrong in the universe.