Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectit's always easy to say "only fanboys loved it" - but it can't be proved
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=99215&mesg_id=99247
99247, it's always easy to say "only fanboys loved it" - but it can't be proved
Posted by McDeezNuts, Wed Jul-16-08 05:49 PM
>>- I'm saying it was supposed to be a deliberately,
>excessively
>>over-the-top "joy-ride" - and it did that very well.
>>
>>It had cool characters, interesting dialogue, great visuals,
>>and amazing action scenes. That's what I wanted and that's
>>what I got.
>
>it had boring, cookie-cutter racist caricatures, pointless,
>self-important dialogue, and what, one action scene?

I didn't find the characters boring.

As for racist caricatures, I don't remember being bothered by that, but I'll have to see it again. I've been waiting for a deluxe DVD, but if Kill Bill is any example, I'll be waiting awhile.

I really loved the dialogue. You can say it's pointless, but to me it was entertaining, believable, and made you feel like you were just seeing the characters hanging out. They weren't discussing shit relevant to the plot; they were just being themselves. I liked that.

The action scene was long and awesome. And it should probably be considered multiple scenes.

>>I find that hard to believe, consider MOST people liked it.
>I
>>know from this very post that you have no trust in Rotten
>>Tomatoes, but at the very least it's confirmation that a
>large
>>majority of viewers (or at least RT members) enjoyed
>>Grindhouse. The critics did too.
>
>yeah, QT worshippers. nobody else saw it in the theaters
>because it was *so* bad.

I think most people were turned off by the presentation, and not the films themselves. It was long as hell to watch both movies.

I don't think it was word of mouth, because that would have affected DVD sales as well, and from what I understand, the DVDs did well (despite people like me who loved the movie but are waiting on a better edition).

>reviewers were on the QT juice too because of his track
>record. so like some people in this post in re: to Dark
>Knight, they already decided Grindhouse would be good without
>really taking a critical eye to the movie.

You are making a huge assumption here. There's no reason whatsoever to assume that the people who liked Grindhouse only liked it because of the "QT juice."

I get that you didn't like it; you don't get (and/or refuse to accept) that lots of people did like it. Love it even. And not all of them are fans blinded by the fact that it was made by QT and RR.

I also dispute your argument that being super hyped and excited about a movie you haven't seen yet automatically means you'll love it and won't judge it critically.

In my opinion, it can work both ways - having such expectations can often lead to disappointment if the film doesn't deliver.

If the film does deliver, the hype might lead to an initial overreaction, sure.

But a bad movie is still a bad movie. Grindhouse was NOT a bad movie.

>>And all of my friends loved it, even the ones who don't even
>>really love Tarantino. My wife, for example, couldn't finish
>>Reservoir Dogs (the ear scene was it for her), didn't like
>>Jackie Brown (far from a QT fanatic) - but she loved both
>>parts of Grindhouse.
>
>holy shit, you're in worse shape than I thought.

Not sure what you mean. My point is that it's possible for someone who doesn't automatically love a QT movie to love Grindhouse and Death Proof specifically.

{for the record, I don't automatically love every QT movie - I've just yet to be disappointed}