Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectThe flaws of the first Xmen...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=9299&mesg_id=9326
9326, The flaws of the first Xmen...
Posted by BigReg, Fri May-02-03 10:57 AM
Ill get into what they did right first...
Absolute genius in casting all around, exception being Halle Berry. If anything, I thought that was going to sink the movie, cause you figure thats the hardest to please for the comic heads. Your forced to match the childhood heroes in their head, with real people on the screen. Wolverine, Prof X etc, genius. And with the Halle Berry issue, while she's near to the LAST black actress id have picked to play the role, I don't completely blame her, I blame...

1)The Script. Just badly paced and the storyline overall was quite anticlimatic(leading to a wack fight in Statue of Liberty). Come on now, its a fucking comic book, having good fights should have been an easy one. Pacing overall wasn't good, and it made it hard to care about anyone but Wolverine. And some of the lines were absolutely groan worthy(aka Storm's lines).

2)Badguys. Magneto was the only good badguy here, rest were wack. Mystique could have been cool, but they wasted her character(and oddly enough totally changed the character from someone who hardly ever throws a punch into kung fu joe). The Toad. *laughs* Sabertooth should have been cool, comic story wise he's got nearly as much depth as Magneto, however they sold him out for cheezy comic relief(totally missing the fact that in the comics, he just represents how Wolverine would be if he fell to his urges).

3)Special effects, but supposedly they had a tight budget, and if anything the matrix bite offs have taught me, its only a small part of the puzzle.