Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecti can see the backlash angle, or the over-analysis angle
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=91660&mesg_id=91736
91736, i can see the backlash angle, or the over-analysis angle
Posted by DonKnutts, Mon Apr-21-08 12:22 PM
i get that...

but for those of you who, like me, watched the film on its premiere night way back in 1994 (i remember the night vividly) with only vague knowledge of QT and basically no idea what the movie would be about, and left the theater in an elevated state—enervated, thrilled, inspired—well, you had to have been there. Sure Internet over-analysis exists, but not in 1994.

This movie had a profound effect on a lot of people my age, it was a true Zeitgeist film and of course that leads to inevitable hype (and backlash) but let's take it back to when it first came out in theaters, before ainitcoolnews.com, before incessant blog teasers and the like. I went to the theater with no expectations and no idea of what I was going to see, and I remember the palpable joy we all felt as theater-goers upon leaving the theater. Some people went right back in to watch it a second time.

It sounds corny but it's true. Everything else, 14 years later, it's the nature of popular culture, and this film has run its course.

But as a truly influential, thought-provoking piece of art—love it or hate it—Pulp fiction will be remembered for generations to come.