Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectDepends, I guess.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=90202&mesg_id=90238
90238, Depends, I guess.
Posted by stylez dainty, Mon Oct-31-05 07:19 PM
>do you know exactly what it is you want to do yet?

Since I was a kid, I wanted to work in advertising, since it seemed like a way to make a steady buck but still do something creative.

>do you know how to get there?

Yeah. I interned as a copywriter, then parlayed that into a full-time job, then used that experience to get a better job at a better agency.

>can you see it, or are you still years away?

I'm doing work that I like at a local agency that will probably make it possible to work at a more renowned agency with cooler clients, but I'm honestly pretty happy where I am.

>how much harder has it been than you anticipated?

This probably doesn't apply to me since what I'm doing isn't art, and so I don't have to go through all of the struggles that are a part of making a living out of your art. It's just a really great office job, but not one that is extraordinarly hard to get if you're a creative person. But I do have aspirations of writing short stories and getting those published, which I am lightyears away from, especially since I've grown accustomed to writing in one sentence spurts. But honestly, I don't foresee much success in that avenue, since the humor/writing style I like best doesn't seem to have a very broad appeal.

But regardless, I feel like I'm a creative person who gets paid off of my talents, and that my 9-5 is sharpening the skills that will make it possible to do something that IS purely artistic.