Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subject2 ways to look at it (mini-spoilerish)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=86338&mesg_id=86382
86382, 2 ways to look at it (mini-spoilerish)
Posted by spenzalii, Fri May-04-07 09:32 AM
I'll get more in depth after the masses see it

If you read the original comics (and if so, you're as old as me), you may feel a bit short changed. There's no way to follow that storyline, but you have to think there could have been a slightly better compromise than that. As it stood, there was no real way to convey the danger Venom posed to Spidey. And that's a crap way to go out, too (but at least it looked good). I'm also not sold on how GG should have been handled either. He menaced Pete for years, behind the mask and in their personal life. But again, no way to do that in 2:20. The strange thing is even with the runtime, there are more than a few parts that seemed rushed. Trimming some storylines and extending others would have helped. Hell, leaving Venom out completely may have helped, but no way that was going to happen. The masses would have had a fit.

However,

As a movie, it was pretty damn good. They developed Sandman perfectly. What limited time they used for Harry played out pretty well. Lots of nice touches to some scenes in the comic books (the shirt, the church bell). If looked at it from a personality standpoint (power corrupting, revenge is bad, friends and family, etc) how they handled the suit was pretty decent. The 'black suit' Pete was funny as shit, but could have been trimmed. J.K. stole every scene he was in, and Bruce's cameo was well worth it (I am French!). Damn near every role Topher is in he plays Eric Foreman, which is fine by me. The action sequences were fantastic and should look even better in IMAX (although I could have used better lighting in the first one). I wasn't as mad at the acting because this is a comic book brought to the screen, and what is a comic book without crappy dialogue and bad 'acting'? So in that light, it played out OK.

In all, great summer movie and good for the series. Not so great for the comic fan storywise, but good nonetheless.