Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectMy verdict
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=7601&mesg_id=7794
7794, My verdict
Posted by johnbook, Sat Aug-23-03 02:41 PM
For the most part, the series was good. I got to reminisce about my youth and once again realize how old I am.

I agree, some of the younger guys don't even seem like they were there, but rather experienced it via reruns. My first memories began around 1973-1974, so the shows for those years brought me back to that time.

But there wasn't enough. I know VH-1 is more of a variety/documentary network than a channel that plays "Video Hits", but they began as a music network, there should be an emphasis on the music, especially soul.

There were loads of albums and songs they didn't touch on either. With the early 70's, you can't escape the impact of "filk", which was stuff like Les Crane's "Desiderata" and that one "America" song on Westbound. It was an odd movement, where you heard the music and someone spoke over it (the highest moment for the filk movement was probably "Convoy").

While they rightfully mentioned THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, they did not mention THE WALL. It may have been released in November 1979, but it wrapped up the 70's very well. They did hint to it when they played "Run Like Hell" during a segment, but that was it.

I do hope they do a new version, and give it a title that the Rolling Stones used for one of their compilations album: SUCKING IN THE 70's. There was a whole lotta sucking going on, complete with hair.

p.e.a.c.e.
-John Book

"Great album, and so good to hear labels like yourselves releasing the music you totally believe in, respect. Love the Flevans piano roller, and John Book's party breaks." -LTJ Bukem