Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectUnpopular Opinion: Blacks always think that black films are unfairly judged.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=61319&mesg_id=61457
61457, Unpopular Opinion: Blacks always think that black films are unfairly judged.
Posted by rorschach, Mon May-22-06 11:07 PM
I was talking to my dad once about how I'd love to be a filmmaker. He goes on a rant about how Hollywood is only for the whites and that black film is never seen as equal. Playing the devil's advocate, I retorted.

My position was that just because we love some of these movies, it doesn't mean that they're great when considered in the grand scheme of things.

He used the one film everyone uses in this conversation: The Color Purple. Now I admitted that that particular movie, along with Do the Right Thing and Malcolm X, were definitely robbed. However, he says that they do that every year.

That's where I disagree, personally I haven't seen one black film in this century that stacks up to those films. I like Antwone Fisher and Ray just as much as anyone, but they're no Color Purple.

Bottom line: We could bitch and complain all day about how black films aren't given the same type of treatment that white films get. No matter how true that statement is, there still is no excuse for coming with a bunch of sub-par films. If people want black films to be considered on the same level, they first should make sure that those films were made with just as much effort, logic and attention. If all of our movies are well-written, well-acted, and well-directed then you can truly say that we're not being considered on the same level.

"Being the bigger man is overrated." -- Huey (The Boondocks)

myspace.com/dozingoff