Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI love "Purple Rain" but I prefer "Fargo" here
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=59573&mesg_id=59729
59729, I love "Purple Rain" but I prefer "Fargo" here
Posted by Walleye, Tue Apr-29-08 08:01 AM
I want to say Purple Rain, but the Minneapolis geography in "Purple Rain" is so confusing it almost seems like it wasn't made by a Minnesotan. I had always wondered about the huge cab fare that Apollonia runs up between the bus station and First Ave, because they're right around the corner from each other now. And Wikipedia implies that was the case when the movie was made. I'm always annoyed by how long their trip to the lake that isn't Lake Minnetonka seems to take. It's like they're riding for hours through the wild countryside of the Twin City suburbs. The actual Lake Minnetonka is pretty close to most of the locations in the movie and finding a Lake that *isn't* Lake Minnetonka would have taken no more than 20 minutes in pretty much every direction.

These are all, obviously, completely stupid and trivial points. But it's made the movie less distinctively Minneapolis in my mind.

Fargo doesn't even take place entirely in the Twin Cities, but the relationship of the Cities:surburbs:outstate is done perfectly. Some egregious offenses against the Minnesota accent interfere with the tone, but some of the principle actors were at least adequate.

I'd also add "That Was Then, This Is Now". They changed the setting of the novel to Minneapolis, and there are some pretty recognizable shots of an unpleasant-looking early-80's Uptown.