Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectOscar talk a bit much
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=57499&mesg_id=57993
57993, Oscar talk a bit much
Posted by Candace L., Mon Jul-21-08 09:52 AM
Hollywood does not check on comic book movies like that. Oscar talk will fizzle when the industry's need for a 'moment' confronts its moralizing over giving a dead, drug addict their top honor. Ain't going to happen. Even a nomination would be a stretch.

Heath was good, but if they'd asked that of Nicholson in the original, he would've brought it. De Niro and Hopkins in their prime were this character. Just saying, it's not like we haven't seen this level of sociopathic terror before. The overall caliber of the performances required Heath's Joker to be nothing less than what it was. I left the theater (@ 4:30 this morning) much more impressed w/Aaron Eckhart.

Maggie did what she could, but this genre (and most others outside of the indie circuit) doesn't know how to write strong, female roles. I ache at the thought of them introducing Catwoman.

And Bruce Wayne just gets weaker and weaker. Batman is such an obtuse character when done by Bale (who I love, but he's like that in just about everything I see him in) that at least the alter ego could have a little more personality. Instead you get these random playboy moments that seem kind of silly.