Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: gripes (minor)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=55934&mesg_id=56000
56000, RE: gripes (minor)
Posted by celery77, Mon Aug-04-08 07:33 PM
>I liked City of God. But I never thought it was *this* good. I
>think the setting had a lot to do with people's reactions
>towards it.

Not third best, no, but the filmmaking on display in it is pretty unparalleled. In the end it's just a gangster story, but as far as cinematography, editing, and style? My god, this film stands above almost everything on that list.

>>7. Fargo- 1170
>
>I'm leaning more with 40street on this one. it's a "year's
>best" film to me, not a "decade's best" one.

Like they said above -- this one really doesn't show its true colors until you watch it a few times.

>>18. Rushmore- 827
>
>Never understood the appeal of this movie either. I've watched
>it like three times on cable, too.

Did an awful lot to define a specific "hip" aesthetic all by itself. Resurrected Bill Murray's career. Announced Wes Anderson as one of the pre-eminent talents of his generation. Helped spur the British Invasion revival in music.

That's fine if you're not personally feeling the suburban, white setting and emo heartbreak themes, but even by objective measure it's one of the best films to come out during this period.

>>20. The Incredibles- 790
>
>On the record: Pixar's most overrated film.

TRUTH -- Iron Giant better. I think I ranked Iron Giant on top of it in my list as well.

>>37. Memento- 595
>
>Sorry jigga, I really did not like this one.

It gets a little disheartening after a while seeing how few people can see it for the trash that it is.

>>42. Forrest Gump- 547
>
>LOL I can't fucking stand this movie.

Pretty shocked PTP fell for it as well.

>>48. Anchorman- 501
>
>Old School murders this film!

WRONG! Anchorman isn't just hilarious, but it's actually a pretty clever poke at prevailing sexism as well.