Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectyou can watch the movie and not know much about the story...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47114&mesg_id=47221
47221, you can watch the movie and not know much about the story...
Posted by bearfield, Mon Jul-31-06 11:34 AM
and you can read the manga and STILL not know much about the story, lol. sometimes it's pretty hard to wrap your mind around it. i think it's mostly about the fear of japan being decimated again, the fear what could happen if they could counter that destruction, and the uncertainty of post-annihilation life

i'm interested in knowing just what the fuck was going on in japan politically and socially in the 80's because i'm almost positive there are some real-world parallels that foreigners can't get without an understanding of japanese culture at that time. obviously our bombing of japan has had a huge influence on some of their anime and manga...

also i think i enjoy black and white work more than color. i'm hardly knowledgeable on comics but the two black and white's i've read (cerebus and akira) are just more pleasing to look at than, say, v for vendetta or preacher (but i'm sure that's 99% otomo and sim being brilliant artists)