Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectakira (otomo, 1982-1989?)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=47114&mesg_id=47219
47219, akira (otomo, 1982-1989?)
Posted by bearfield, Mon Jul-31-06 10:25 AM
so i finally got around to reading all 2000+ pages and i'm still absorbing most of it

first off, otomo is absolutely brilliant as an artist. there are panels that i stared at for 10+ minutes just marvelling at the detail and complexity of his work. the panels conveying mass destruction are easily the most impressive: huge tidal waves hitting 100-story buildings, kids with psychokinetic powers throwing fighter jets and missiles at each other, satellite laser defense systems being dropped on various locales... just really amazing stuff

i'd seen the movie and thoroughly enjoyed it but it really didn't prepare me for the depth of the manga. i've heard some ppl say that the movie is a trailer for the manga but i think it's more of a teaser. the story is incredibly complex. so complex i won't even attempt to summarize it. there's just a ton of cool shit in these books. it's the movie x 1000

my respect for otomo went up twofold after reading the manga. 1.) for writing and drawing it and 2.) for somehow condensing 2000+ pages of action and dialogue into about 2 hours and still coming away with a semi-coherent story. imo the manga would make an amazing mini-series because there are a ton of incredible moments that i'm somewhat dissapointed they didn't make it into the movie becase they just look like they would animate beautifully

the translation is pretty good but at some parts it seems... forced. on occasion there are some random 4-letter words that seem to be thrown in for the hell of it and there are some discintly american phrases thrown in and that kind of translating has always kind of bugged me. but i've always been for more thorough/accurate translations so it could be a misperception on my part

i really enjoyed reading this and anyone who liked (or hated) the movie and wants a better understanding of just what the fuck is going on should pick this up