Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectNot his best work (minor spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=42207&mesg_id=42327
42327, Not his best work (minor spoilers)
Posted by Knucklefoot, Sun Mar-26-06 11:10 PM
Saw this film last night. Let me preface by saying I'm a pretty big fan of most of Spike's films and enjoy the way he presents his work. To me, this film was classic Spike: The parts were better than the sum. Some spoilers will follow...

There are scenes, camera angles, pop culture references and feelings conveyed that are GREAT, but at the end of the film I can't say that I was blown away. Some comments:

1. Anyone else notice the photos behind Case during that last scene with Denzel (Bush family and Margaret Thatcher) Nice little shot right there...

2. Big problem I had with this film was Jodie Foster. I'll be honest, I still don't know her exact role. You're telling me that some business liason/bigwig is just going to be permitted to stroll into that bank to "negotiate" with Clive? Come on...

3. There wasn't enough character development with Clive's gang. All I know is that they were a bunch of pissed off Jews!

4. Jeremy Irons could have been used more effectively.

I don't know....this one actually struck me as more of a comedy than anything else with some garden variety Spike social commentary. I'm glad it's doing well, I just don't see ALL the hype about it.