Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjecta hell of a picture (semi-spoilers)
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=42207&mesg_id=42296
42296, a hell of a picture (semi-spoilers)
Posted by navajo joe, Sun Mar-26-06 01:50 PM
a. i had to go to three different theaters here in Manhattan to find a non-sold out show which was great. i hope this has a hearty take at the box office and i believe it will.

b. the movie was damn near perfect. it felt a little long most likely because unconventionally there is still a good deal of picture left after the heist. and terrence blanchard's score had a little too much bombast at points. but that's really the only thing i can knock. a couple of the lee-isms felt slightly out of place yet comforting and it was nice to see his actor-on-dolly shot get a an update.

c. this is what lee should have been doing all along. making genre pictures that still undeniably bear his stamp. you don't have to make a protest film, a documentary or a michael moore editorial to explore issues of race, class, corporations getting there founding funds from the exploitation of some of histories greatest tragedies. genre films provide the perfect mode to slip the message when no one is looking. enterain and the audience will let you educate.

i really hope this film is a financial success so that lee can leverage the success of this picture to doing whatever personal projects he'd like with full studio support

d. i might try and catch it again this weekend.

and i was i the only one tickled pink by the robbers in a Volkswagen. oh the irony.