Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI think we primarily disagree on what holds true for the future
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36319&mesg_id=36478
36478, I think we primarily disagree on what holds true for the future
Posted by CaptainRook, Sun Jan-21-07 02:15 PM
>Again, Dreamworks was a perfect role for her,and really the
>entire cast.
>
>The acting, without the music, was mediocre at best in that
>film.
>

I disagree here. Danny Glover and Jamie Foxx were very good in their roles. Granted their characters were relatively flat, especially considering their experience and acting ability, in particular, Danny Glover.

Jamie was a convincing scoundrel, although he didn't reach the level of Larry Hagman playing JR on "Dallas". His character was a believable as a "snake" and most viewers developed some level of contempt and/or dislike for "Curtis."

This was Eddie's best acting job that I've ever seen. Much of his role was still that of a comic, which of course, is more natural for him, but he showed greater depth than what I thought he was capable of.

And as previously stated, I thought Jennifer gave a solid performance.

None of these performances were great, but they were definitely better than mediocre.

>Jennifer's performance as a singer, particulalry her voice, in
>the movie, is what is garnering all this attention and
>rightfully so.
>

I don't think that this is true in and all by itself. Everybody who has any idea of what "American Idol" is, knows she can sing. It was her acting ability that surprised most people and has brought her all of these accolades. Her singing alone, by no means, is responsible for all of the attention that she has garnered. She did a respectable acting job too on a character that was not easy to play (for a newbie in particular).

>>She can develop into an awesome talent. She's got
>>alot of things on her side:
>>
>>She's young,
>>She's got talent,
>>She's a natural performer,
>>She has charisma, and
>>She's a pretty woman.
>>
>
>^^That doesn't automatically make you a great actress.
>
>Beyonce has all those traits and more. Is she a great actress?
>No.
>

I should've been more specific when I mentioned "talent". Jennifer appears to be a more natural ACTING talent; Beyonce is not. If Jennifer works at it, her natural raw talent can be developed into a seasoned veteran acting pro. Beyonce either just doesn't have it and/or is not willing to work at it.

>>She has a lot of the elements that are needed to at least be
>a
>>box office draw in the coming years but I think she could
>also
>>develop into a great actress.
>>
>
>She isn't a box office draw type performer. UNLESS she gets
>her acting chops up. And that still doesn't matter. Having
>acting chops and being a box-office draw, are, a lot of times,
>two differnt things. Look at Adam Sandler's and Don Cheadles's
>careers for examples.. lol
>

You're right about her acting chops; I agree that does need to improve to solidify her place as a box office draw. But even if her acting game never improves, she has something that Adam Sandler has and that Don Cheadle lacks: a following. People relate to and identify with Jennifer from her time on "American Idol". (Similarly, Adam Sandler has a following from his time on "SNL"). Not only does Jennifer have a following, she (like many "American Idol" alums) has a STRONG following. Almost cult-like.

>>I don't see this acting thing being a one hit wonder deal
>for
>>her with this role. I see it as a beginning to possibly
>much
>>bigger things, more movies, bigger roles as her talent
>>develops.
>>
>
>It could be. That is nice "dream" (no pun intended).
>

>A lot of that has to do with her. And how she approaches it.
>

Agreed.

Depending on how dedicated she is and how hard she's willing to work at it, this "dream" could become a reality. And that's part of the danger of her being awarded such a prestigous award, like an Oscar so soon. It could kill her work ethic and her desire to improve. Even worse, she could become one of these Diva-Divine type of chicks, thinking that she's already arrived and become a person with an inflated attitude and inflated sense of self worth and become hard to impossible to work with.

>>In short, I see her as a potential long-term talent; you
>>apparently, see her as a one hit wonder, one and done type
>>talent.
>
>I don't see her as that. And I hope that isn't the case. I
>just won't be surprised if this turns out to be her first and
>only time she climbed Mt. Everest.
>
>People weren't really floored with her awe-inspiring acting.
>They were floored with her awe-inspiring voice in a musical.
>

Anyone who went and saw this movie and was overwhelmed by her singing alone, has been living in some remote location for the past 2 years or so. Her singing ability is a given for anyone who saw her on an episode of "American Idol".