Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI saw this movie over the weekend and
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=36319&mesg_id=36450
36450, I saw this movie over the weekend and
Posted by CaptainRook, Mon Jan-08-07 10:41 PM
I was very impressed. I didn't go into it with high expectations and I think that may have helped.

I thought Eddie, Jamie, and Danny did very well in their respective roles. All of the guys seemed believable in their roles.

The women, however, I thought were not as convincing, for the most part. But I didn't mind too much because all 3 of 'em are tasty eye candy. :) So that definitely helped. Their dialogue and acting didn't seem to be as fluent, real or believable. In many parts of the movie, it reminded me of the type of acting that you see in those Black, low budget direct to DVD type of movies, some of which are really good stories, but the actors fail to help the movie actualize it's potential because of their lack of acting skills and/or ability.

With all that said, the most amazing part of the movie was Jennifer singing "You're Gonna Love Me". THAT SHIT WAS INTENSE!!!! I was EXTREMELY impressed by that performance. The intensity and the duration of the song overwhelmed me and damn near wore me out. I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like that in a movie. If she could've acted as half as well as she sung that song, she would be a lock for an Oscar. But her performance of that song, at the very least makes her worthy of an Oscar nomination. She was either holding back on the acting tip or she's been deeply hurt by somebody that she loved dearly, because that shit that came out of her was REAL!!! I wonder how many retakes they had to do of that scene. I'm sure multiple scenes and retakes of that had to wear her out.

For what it's worth, I also thought that Jennifer's acting was the best out of all the women characters, just not great (with the exception of the aformentioned singing of "You're Gonna Love Me".)

Some of the singing scenes reminded of R.Kelly and Mr. Biggs videos.

I did enjoy the movie, and it's definitely the best drama that I've seen in awhile.

It was good see that they had Loretta Devine in there to sorta give it her blessing and have a direct connection from the Broadway hit production to the transition of that production onto the big screen.

FYI: I wonder what Diana Ross thinks of this movie.