Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAah, The Master of Suspense
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=34306&mesg_id=34361
34361, Aah, The Master of Suspense
Posted by LionofJudah, Tue Apr-19-05 09:17 PM
Hitchcock is probably the best filmmaker ever to put ANYTHING on celluloid. His direction is so well constructed and his techniques were way ahead of his time, watching his work evolve as it happened years ago must have been great to see. Anyway, my thoughts on his movies are as follows:

Suspicion (1941) - Good Hitchcockian film, not one of the greats however - skippable. The plot is somewhat weak. hitchcock directs well and keeps you thinking about it - he keeps the suspense flowing. The music was very sweeping and at times too dramatic and distracting. But, there were nice performances from the cast - especially from Nigel Bruce as 'Beaky'.

Notorious (1946) - A really good Hitchcock film. The direction is top notch with a really concise piece of work resulting - without unnecessary scenes etc. The suspense gets you from the beginning and plas out wonderfully in the end. The acting again was good for the film and it was well done. A good point from which to start with Hitchcock.

Rope (1948) - This film's direction is amazing. Hitchcocks dexterity with the camera is amazing. He keeps the camera moving around in this small set perfectly and cutting at points where you cannot even notice it and it kept the eyes moving. Amazing. Casting was perfect and the acting was superior IMO to many of the other Hitchcockian masterpieces.

Strangers On A Train (1951) - This is pure bliss for me. This is the defenition of a Hitchcock film, it combines elements of many of his other films and boy is it great. The way Hitchcock manipulates his audience is incredible (esp. with the transference of guilt), just the way the suspense flows through this film is awesome. The direction from the very beginning - the two totally different men (at least from their feet) walking to a train to the reflection in the sunglasses. This is it for me right her guys.. Check please.

I Confess (1953) - I liked this film but do not think it holds a candle to Hitchcock's other greats. I really enjoyed Monty Cliff's performance and the overbearing religious theme was quite different from his other works. I also enjoyed the setting that was used. Some may point out the 'plodding' pace but it works well with the overall tone of the film. Nothing eelse really stands out.

Dial 'M' for Murder (1954) - Wouldn't call this one of his lesser works because it works on many levels. It deals with many different themes that have been evident in his films. The way he treats murder as a 'sport', infidelity, the perfect murder etc. The acting again was superb. The direction also stands out with some great shots (dont want to spoil anyitthing). The script is what I liked the best about this film, it was very tightly wound in terms of suspense and kept it going until the last frame. Classic ending.

Rear Window (1954) - This is a great film on voyuerism and the nature of human beings. Jimmy Stewart again provides the same role he provides so well in many a picture. Grace Kelly supports him fairly well but the real star was the way Hitchcock allowed us to experience what the characters were experiencing - seeing what they see. From what we see we are able to make our own inferences about the people in the apartment building. This is a master at work - manipulating the audience and making them enthralled with what is going on. Addictive and I loved it - directorial brilliance.

The Wrong Man (1956) - I liked this film because of the mood of the film and the way it was shot. Well constructed and acted (by the great Henry Fonda), I thought it was bleaker and different from his other works. His camera flows effortlessly from the swirling shot of Fonda in a holding cell to a moving shot entering his home to the effective courtroom scene. It is more somber than most but overall well done.

I will add on later, whew I am tired.