Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectRE: yeah but
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=20760&mesg_id=20787
20787, RE: yeah but
Posted by REDeye, Tue Sep-12-00 11:17 AM
>this really isn't the kind of
>film where you can just
>sit back and enjoy the
>show.

I didn't mean "sit back and enjoy it," I meant experience it. Whether your reaction to it is good or bad, you have to absorb it. And you know what? It's okay to not like it. No one is going to think any less of you.

It's great that you and others are trying to understand this movie, but it's not for everyone. My fear is that you are going to finally get answers to all your questions, and you are going to find them wholly unsatisfying. You may then wind up disliking the movie even more.

Understanding all the 82s and deciphering the kid's rap won't change your opinion of this movie, anymore than looking up "triskaidekaphobia" will change your mind about Pharoahe Monche. If you ain't feeling it, you ain't feeling it.

Of all the people finding the hidden symbols and whatnot, I wonder how many had their perception of the movie changed by those discoveries -- I mean, out of the people who didn't see those things the first time.

Those things make the movie cool, fun, complex, and maybe even deep. But by themselves, they don't make it a good movie. Take all the 82 stuff out, remove the kid's rap, (the frogs stay!) and you still have a very moving and richly layered commentary on what it means to be human and need connection when connection is so very difficult.

RED
(It's like a finger point away at the moon -- don't watch the finger or you miss all that heavenly glory. © Bruce Lee, Enter the Dragon)