Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectAlright...
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=17050&mesg_id=17136
17136, Alright...
Posted by scorpion, Wed Jan-02-02 04:08 PM
While it is still fresh in my mind. I tend not to get into these discussion because some of yall are so passionate about art that you forget about its purpose as entertainment. I will try to make my points simple and concise...

Will Smith-Bravo, young man...

Mario Van Peebles-I dont have as much beef w/his acting as some of you do(I loved Sonny Spoon)but I dont think he captured Malcom's fire and magnetism at all, he played Malcolm as sort of a sheepish cat, whereas I think the fire of both men is what made them friends...Denzel's performance stands...

Then rest of the cast-Excellente! Many of you complained about the underuse of several actors, and while I would have enjoyed more screen time from all of them, it wasnt about jockeying for the Oscar nod, it was about becoming your character and doing what they did....many of you did not dig Mann's style for this film, yall felt it lacked depth...But I was able to see how Mann freaked it and it was brilliant. Im a celebrity's life, there are so many people around you at most times and in varying degrees vying for your attention, that it sometimes become a blur. we saw these people from Ali's perspective, not from each characters perspective. Even though Ali may have been talikng to Angelo Dundee, Bundini Brown was still THERE, and while the conversation is happening, you still hear Bundini talking shit..
Except when Ali is actually interacting with one of these characters, they continue to resonate in the background. Malcom's story is easier to tell in 3 hours because Malcolm, more or less was a solitary man...Ali however surrounded himself with people who loved him and there were simply too many characters to focus on without taking away from the magnitude of Ali, but those characters were too important to leave out...

I've always thought Nona Gaye was beautiful, but DAMN! I have a theory that a woman doesnt really grow into her looks until her late 20's-early 30's. Nona definiely fits my theory. She looks like she was carved out of the finest ebony and sculpted by a master's hand...Yet for all of her beauty as a woman, she is DEFINITELY Marvin's daughter. Give her a beard and a skull cap and i'd be convinced of ressurection....

Not to shit on Jada and Michael...

For those who could not feel the chemistry in the scenes btwn Ali and Veronica, I dont know what to tell you...

Jeffrey Wright cant be fucked with...

Bad casting: Albert Hall as Elijah Muhammad-Al Freeman's performance stands...

Mann goes in an opposite direction when trying to articulate what is inside of Ali, what makes him tick. For a man who talked alot, Mann chose to go with emotions instead of words, kind of a way to show the dichotomy of the man. Ali's words were not indicative of his feelings, Ali kept a brave and humorous face on for the outside world, but his emotions he dealt with within, and when speaking with emotion, he spoke quietly...

Historical timeline-Dont sweat the small stuff...

the breakup of the first marriage was not handled well...

Fight scenes-Dope...You are inside the ring and you have been hit...

Paul Rodriguez was in this movie???

No, this film is not perfect but it is well done...

Malcolm X was a masterpiece...in my opinion. I have a right to that opinion as you have a right to yours...

Quote of a lifetime:

"Hello? Hello, Mr. George?, this is yo conscience, motherf***er!"
-Prince

"Sorry, baby...I never said I was an angel"
-Maxwell

"...and what the f**k is you lookin' at?"
-Ghostface Killah

"But if you've ever switched genres before, Latina, Asian, Rich, Poor, they still end up being a chick with problems"
-k. orr

"you didn't understand my philosophy..."
-Marvin Gaye