Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI kinda agree....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=17050&mesg_id=17085
17085, I kinda agree....
Posted by beautifulpeace, Tue Dec-25-01 06:18 PM
I was really excited to see this movie and I couldn't wait until it came out. I enjoyed the movie but there were A LOT of things that could (and should) have been explained.

The movie picked some of the most important highlights within that ten year period and just kinda threw them together (first fight, marriage to Jada, second fight, Malcolm's death, etc.) It doesn't really explain anything. Ali's marriage to Sonji was so quick and from the way it seemed on film, it seemed like he just left without any explanation.

Now I think Will Smith did a really good job. It was kinda hard at first to really pay attention to the movie because the accent just sounded weird coming from him. But as you got into the movie, Smith started to own the character and you really begin to believe that its Ali speaking.

The direction is what fucks up the movie because nothing really flowed. You never got to know why he joined The Nation, how his character and charisma was developed (was it from his family or what?), and how he really felt about Don King. I think Will Smith did the best job he could considering what he was given to work with.

Anyway, I enjoyed it, so go check it out.

:-)
"Seems like everybody's lost their minds/ and I just might be the next one in line" - Amel Larrieux

work like you don't need the money
love like you never been hurt
dance like you do when nobody's watching--Mindstorm

"I crave more than anything truthful and intense human interaction"--el_rey