Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectIt's definitely not a waste of time. It's very worth your time.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=115567&mesg_id=115673
115673, It's definitely not a waste of time. It's very worth your time.
Posted by Frank Longo, Fri Oct-04-13 09:26 AM
I don't want to undersell how extraordinary the visual achievement is here, or the audio achievement for that matter. That part of it is unpredictable. You simply can't anticipate the rush of the experience.

The story? Sure. I was hoping for something either more akin to 2001, utterly unpredictable in its plot machinations and structure, or if it was going to be purely survivalist, something more akin to the upcoming All Is Lost (this film's cousin in a lot of ways), where we wouldn't delve into the typical backstory . But this movie does have back story injected into the mix, occasionally on the nose, and the plot is a series of ticking clock devices which you can usually guess how they come to pass. Which after a fairly atypical first 30-40 minutes I admit was initially somewhat of a letdown. (MILD SPOILER: you can sort of pinpoint the moment where the movie switches gears, where. Clooney essentially asks Bullock, "so, what's your life like back on Earth?")

HOWEVER, even if you know where the film is going, you'll be gripping your armrests as you get there. Just because the story is simple and/or corny doesn't mean you won't be in fear of it departing from that path. This is largely thanks to the extraordinary, extraordinary visuals. THEY keep you guessing, even if the story really doesn't. If that makes sense.

I'd read the Edelstein review I posted below. He nails it: sure, the story turns corny and predictable, especially by the end, but the experience it, as he puts it, "infuckingcredible."