Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBomb confession: I let motherfuckas scare me out of going to the theater
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=114505&mesg_id=114621
114621, Bomb confession: I let motherfuckas scare me out of going to the theater
Posted by Bombastic, Thu Oct-10-13 12:22 AM
between folks I talked to out here, this post, some of the Grantland digs & other stuff I allowed myself to be talked out of giving RZA, a man who with his contributions to the world exists on the highest tier of my personal cultural icons (with Bobby Dylan, pre-Bullwinkle Deniro, Ali, AI & possibly 3-4 others) my cash while this was still playing at the cinema down the street for what seemed like only a week.

I'd been planning on going opening night for like a year up until a week or so before it actually came out.

Ended up Red-Boxing this last month, bracing myself for the bad & realizing 'this shit is fucking FUN, WTF was I tripping over or listening to?!?'.

I'm fucking proud of RZA for this one, I hope he gets to make more but it doesn't seem like he will be able to get another one made anytime soon due to reception/box-office and that's a shame.

This should be a fixture in the college dorms, 18-year-old Bomb would have watched this tripping my balls off in a Northeastern dorm room, never knowing or caring that others were claimed it was a trainwreck before seeing it myself.

The cast was fantastic & clearly having fun, the action was campy but still cool, I guess the weakest part of it was RZA as narrator/actor (that part probably could have gone elsewhere while he concentrated on just making the movie because I think it was played a bit too straight pitted against the hamminess of Crowe & Co) but that's a minor issue.

I'm with you dude, this shit was a cool little 2010's kung-fu homage that deserves cult status.

For Shame. For Why?