Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectBecause wrestling fans beat up geeks.
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=102112&mesg_id=102217
102217, Because wrestling fans beat up geeks.
Posted by box, Tue Jul-01-08 09:39 PM
While they might be on opposite sides of the same polyhedral die, they are still opposites. Wrestling, as fantastical as it may be, doesn't seem to have much regard for the fantasy-wielding geek. And the last thing that geeks are likely to invite into their fold is a group of muscle-bound jocks. Will not happen.

And really, what do wrestling and mainstream geekdom have in common?
Certainly, wrestling has its quotables, but who bothers to memorize the script to Wrestlemania MMIXVI like they would The Princess Bride ("you warthog faced buffoon")?
Throughout geekdom runs a strain of literateness that is lacking from pro-wrestling. Not meaning that wrestling is dumb, but there's not much in there to ponder when you're all alone or riding the bus plugged into your iPod. It's great to yell to your friends about, or practice on your younger sibling, but that isn't geekdom. Because as communal as geekdom might be, it's based on the identity people share as loners and outcasts. Wresting fans come from a different ilk.

This isn't to say that I don't think McMahon isn't missing golden marketing opportunity here, and I'm stunned he doesn't do it. I mean, Pro-wrestling conventions? Where you can get the autographs of Hacksaw Jim Duggan and the Iron Sheik on that 25 year-old poster from your basement. They may not be able to wrestle anymore, but they can still bring in the bucks. And some sort of pro-wrestling version of the Renaissance Faire, a Wrestlesance Faire (sorry, too lazy to come up with something more clever at the moment). I still don't think the Pro-wrestling RPG will fly though, too much reading. If only there were a way to copyright and sell a drinking game.

box