Go back to previous topic
Forum namePass The Popcorn Archives
Topic subjectI was hitting puberty when Dibiase put over Savage at WM4, so yeah
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=23&topic_id=102112&mesg_id=102200
102200, I was hitting puberty when Dibiase put over Savage at WM4, so yeah
Posted by Flash80, Tue Jul-01-08 10:47 AM
...I went through a geekdom phase where I kinda knew everything was scripted, but didn't wanna believe it. "Damn dawg, did Papa Shango really make that shit come outta Warrior's head? Aww damn he made him puke too!" LMBAO.

The when I was in college the Attitude era hit. Shit was bananas. It's funny because a lot of people who hadn't watched wrestling since the late 80's always made it out to be a "redneck thing" when any mention of it surfaced. But when I went to live RAW tapings in SF, Oakland and San Jose, it was anything but that. Still, I think that's where the stigma lies, in that folks on the outside view it as low class, whereas comic books and Star Wars are painted as nerdy/geeky.

I've been out of the country for several months now, so I haven't had a chance to watch whatever McMahon's producing these days. But everything I read and youtube spells crap. Now, as a man in my early 30's, even if I was watching wrestling religiously every Monday night, it's still not favorable to bring it up if a chick who I'm digging asks me what I like to watch. You know what I'm saying?

Wrestling was...was...a big a part of pop culture as anything. The big names were endless. Go watch Royal Rumble from '89 and '90. Almost every guy in it was a main eventer, with a story to tell that made you want to tune in. Definitely a subculture of geekdom. Hell, even Arsenio Hall had wrestlers on his show. But today's a different game. I got no problem with John Cena (or Triple H), but he's basically Vince's vehicle for selling merchandise and movies. There's no substance to his persona.

But then again, the gimmicks of yesteryear wouldn't really work with today's audiences. It would come off as corny.

Anyway, great post.