Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectwell
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9864&mesg_id=9873
9873, well
Posted by krewcial, Wed Nov-28-01 06:31 AM
>A platinum artist w/certified skills jumping
>on a
>bandwagon. To please who? You?

You act like there's just one train ...

So far Jay-Z's been riding his own train, but at the same time he's been frustrated about not being able to convince the passengers on "that other train" (let's call 'm "backpackers" or "underground" just to keep things simple) to let him take the wheel, or even buy a ticket.

Various references in his music to "haters" etcetera, plus the fact he even claims to be a "backpacker" now LOL. If that doesn't show how eager or even desperate he is to get props or recognition from those "backpackers" then I don't know.

Or maybe ?uest is just trying to justify working with Jay-Z.

Anyway, to me : action speaks louder than words. Wearing a Che Guevara t-shirt or claiming he loves underground hiphop doesn't convince me ... to me Jay-Z remains an excellent emcee who throws out party bangers every now and then, but doesn't teach me anything when doing so. His lyrical content remains a hollow
glorification of rampant materialism. (I'm not a Jay-Z hater like a lot of people on this thread, I just think there's things he can do, and other stuff he shouldn't even consider).

Working with The Roots, wearing a shirt with Guevara's pic or claiming to be a backpacker doesn't change that ... to the contrary : it's pathetic.

I'm just saying : you can't be a walking billboard for capitalism 25/8 and then suddenly pretend to be "true to the art" at the same time. Cos those 2 things don't blend too well.

krewc
www.vinylators.com