Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: Don't dispute my reality
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9464
9464, RE: Don't dispute my reality
Posted by guerilla_love, Wed Feb-06-02 03:26 AM
>Salesmen, Bad Service, Rowdy Rednecks....that's going
>to happen to me no matter who I date. But

i'm not saying that these happen because u date outside of yr race. i'm saying that they will probably have consequences that may reach into yr relationship

>for the most part, I've managed to avoid it.

that's not relevant to my point.

>People saying "Black People are Sexy"
>trying to feel your hair...that
>depends on the person....never had
>that with europeans, only with
>Americans.....again just relating my experience.

depends on where in europe u go. try iceland, for example. or the swedish countryside.

>Travel, I like to travel and
>they're racist people everywhere....but based
>on my experiences people are much more racist in the
>US...I feel more comfortable in

racism manifests itself in different ways in europe. on the surface, it's a utopia. seeing the surface differences really had a profound affect on me. but digging deeper i was dissapointed-

>But that's just me.

everyone has a completely individual set of circumstances and experiences. i'm not trying to impose mine on u so much as show u that in every relationship there are differences to reckon out, and in an interracial or intercultural (very different elements) relationship, these differences will be one element that will need to be reckoned out. and nobody/no relationship is exempt from that.

>As for our families, I don't
>care...I really don't....we're dating each
>other...not each other's families. BUT,

i suppose this is more of a concern when u're married and sharing family- which is a different ballpark altogether and really the stadium that i'm concentrating on-

>FWIW, I and my sibs have dated Black people where our
>families didn't get along....and have
>dated Whites where our families got along swimmingly (Like my
>sister). Therefore....it's not a concern
>with me when I date Whites....or Blacks for that matter.

i'm talking deeper than that. again, i'm talking on the level of marriage- of sharing family- if one or both person/s in the relationship is attached to their family/values family strongly and even one member of their family has a problem with the mix, it'll be a huuuuuge and very emotional time to face.

and even if these values don't surface in the dating relationship, they often surface with marriage talk and child talk etc etc etc

>One thing: European countries (and people)
>vary wildly....some europeans may react
>with you in the same way Americans do, some may
>not....it depends.

absolutely europe varies greatly. and absolutely tehre are more offensive reactions that just the american way.

>In my experience though, I'd prefer to date European Whites then American Whites.

i think what u really mean to say id different from what u say here

>Anyway, I'm not saying you're wrong....I'm
>just saying that in my
>experience...relationships with Europeans have gone well.

it seems to me that the europeans i meet are more innocent and genuine about race issues- they don't have the same racist cultural bombardment that americans do

but they do have a certain degree of their own breeds of bombardment

and don't forget the many holocausts that happened in europe and the visible fascist and white power forces that are growing power nowadays (mostly growing from rural to urban areas)

==**peace**==

"the skilled binder uses no strings or knots, while to unloose what he has bound would be impossible." Lao Tzu

DomePoem Poets; redefining the third dimension of spoken word