Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectRE: as yr relationship progresses
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9461
9461, RE: as yr relationship progresses
Posted by M2, Mon Feb-04-02 10:37 AM
>u encounter different things. with each
>new encounter u learn more
>about yr mate

Okay....but that's not dependent on their race.

>saying someone sees u for u
>is a first impressiony and
>kinda empty thing

Not it isn't......it means they see all of me, not just "part" of me.

I'm very complex, ask 8 different people to describe me and you'll get 8 different answers...but she saw all of me, that's what I mean by someone who sees me for me..she sees all of who I am, not parts of it or an empty image.

E.g.

Girls I meet in the Gym have a tendency to think I'm vain, critical of my body and will probably be critical of theirs....if they're not in great physical condition. However, I'm nothing like that, I'm not vain....and some of the sexiest looking women I know, don't look like the cast of ESPNs body shaping.

To people at work, I'm a very dedicated, driven, hard working and serious individual. I may crack a joke now and then, but no one is going to give me the award for the office jokester. They also see me as being very conservative, both in politics and tastes.

BUT, when they discuss politics with me or get to know me....they find out that my work persona is just a sliver of my true self.

I act serious at work, but I can be quite silly in off hours...and my politics and tastes are nowhere near as conservative as most people think.

When Black people meet me they think that I'm "the oreo" the "sell out" and/or they try to superimpose their idea of what an "Educated Black Man" should be/should be doing......

As they get to know me, they find their assumptions are proven wrong.....

The point is that, seeing me for ME is neither shallow or first impression based....it's seeing beyond the assumptions one makes of me, based on the context in which you meet me.

>these dynamics run very deep, and
>something wil come up one
>day and u'll realize, u're
>u with yr views, and
>they're themselves with theirs

That's true with anyone.

>european does not mean safe and
>functionally can be a very
>similar experience to dating an
>american

Perhaps, but it my experience it hasn't been.....if I end up with a White Person long term, I doubt they'll be American.

Peace,

M2