Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectthat's what worries me
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9453
9453, that's what worries me
Posted by LexM, Mon Feb-04-02 08:36 AM
>i was talking to someone who
>told me of a family
>member who recently divorced his
>white wife. for all
>intents and purposes she was
>a "good woman," looked after
>the children, faithful etc. but
>he said in terms of
>his africanness, especially as he
>beagn to read more, he
>found that she just saw
>it as something to tolerate.
> plus there was the
>problem of white privelege, that
>exclusive club she was born
>into, that he would never
>be "a part" of.

things like that would always be in the back of my mind if i married/dated someone white. on the other hand, if they were a part of another minority group, the differences might be more cultural--e.g. a language barrier--but at least they'd be more likely to understand the ideas of being held to a stereotype, discrimination, etc.

but do you think that changes if you marry a european vs. a white american? europeans aren't necessarily inundated with the same concepts of race. a white person from another country might be a lot easier to relate to than a white american.

"Two centuries ago, a former European colony decided to catch up with Europe. It succeeded so well that the United States of America became a monster, in which the sickness, and the inhumanity of Europe have grown to appalling dimensions." ~~Frantz Fanon

"In the twenty-first century, Christianity, Islam and Judaism are still dominated by unenlightened males of every race in the East and in the West. Until women are truly heard in the church, the mosque, and the synagogue, the feminine expression of the Divine Attributes of the Creator cannot be experienced, and war will ultimately destroy most of humanity." ~~Min. Ava Muhammad

need a hero? http://www.gettosake.com

wanna say hi? AIM: LadyDay78