Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectClearing up this confusion
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9406
9406, Clearing up this confusion
Posted by nahymsa, Wed Feb-06-02 12:24 PM
I never said that deciding to date within your race means you're more likely to get abused.

I said believing that you don't choose who you love or have power over who/what you accept in your life FALLS RIGHT IN LINE with the type of thinking many abused women have.

Self esteem is about valuing self. And this conversation is about values.

>Deciding to love only particular types of men and learning to
>avoid potential abusers or escaping men who reveal themselves >to be abusers are too different things.

An abuser is a type of man....learning to avoid certain types of men is the same process of choosing certain qualities in a man that you value. If you value a man who abuse you then you watch for a man that shows signs of those qualities & avoid or dump him when they appear. If you value a man who's quiet then you don't date a man who yells. If you value a black man in your life then you date a black man.

>My Sister is with a White Man, even though her preference
>was to be with a Black Man...but this is the
>man she fell in love with so she went with
>her heart. She is not more likely to be abused
>since she went with her heart and not with her
>preference.

I never ever implied that she would be more likely to be abused. I believe your sister chose her mate...some people want to suggest that she didn't...she just "fell" & couldn't help it. That's bullshit, imo.