Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectIt's interesting.....
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9403
9403, It's interesting.....
Posted by M2, Tue Feb-05-02 02:42 PM
How you respond to a post by not addressing any of the issues and/or questions that the person brought up.

>I
>would never teach my daughters
>that you stumble into the
>most important relationship into your
>life or that LOVE CHOOSES
>YOU.
>We all should
>decide what we value and
>make sure that we seek
>that in our mates &
>bring it into our lives.
> Women that don't are
>the same type that end
>up cowering from fists thinking
>love is something that's grabbed
>hold of them.

No offense, but this is complete and utter Bullshit. I know and am related to women who have been in this situation, I've been in the next room and have been forced to Physically Intervene, helped them get away from the situation and helped them rebuild their lives...

Women who get beat by their Husbands, end up in that situation for a variety of reasons....that have nothing to do with the fact that they believe "Love Chooses You". Considering how many women who more or less think like you, get married to Brothas that beat them, your logic doesn't hold.

Self Esteem is at the heart of the issue with respect to women who get abused, they think they deserve it, they're afraid of living without their husbands, they convince themselves that he's a good man, a good provider.....they may even convince themselves they love the man.

BUT, when the person you think you love, turns out to be hamrful to you.....it's self esteem that keeps you in that situation....NOT the fact that you believe Love Chooses you.

Getting women out of (and keeping them) out these situations, is a function of teaching them not to be victims (or to accept it), to have faith in themselves and have the confidence to fight back/leave.

It has nothing to do with how they view love.

</end rant>

Back to the subject at hand.......

People with Downs Syndrome are a bad example, because I wasn't talking about people with an obvious defect. I was talking about taking people without obvious defects/diseases and submitting them to a battery of tests, mental & physical and making my decision based on that.

E.g. Choosing a girlfriend based on her scores on an IQ test and the "M2 Physical Fitness Test"

There is a big difference between rejecting a girl who has downs or a disease...and rejecting one because her IQ is 125 instead of 135 and because she can't do 50 pushups in 2 minutes.

You still haven't addressed the fact that you don't know everyone in an interracial relationship, you don't know if they have neccessarily rejected a Black woman to be in it.....nor do you know if this non-Black woman is the first woman to really connect with them.

Basically, the only inference you can make is that these two people are willing to date outside their race....because you don't KNOW them. If I see a Black couple I can't infer that they value being with Black people and will only date Black people, all I can infer is that they want to be together.

If we met 40 years from now and I introduce to a woman that I've been with for 38 of those years....could you make the inference that I only want to be with Black people and won't date other races?

No, because it wouldn't be true.

As for the fact that there are Numerically enough Black Women to go around....that has nothing to do with the fact that some people may end up connecting with a non-Black person first.....regardless if they're looking for a Black Woman.

That's the issue.....connections. IF you connect with someone, so be it...I'm not talking about staying in abusive relationships because of it. I'm merely saying that for people like me (and others) it's difficult to make a connection with someone....and it would be silly to reject those rare people you do connect with....just based on race. If a Korean Woman is making me happier then another Black women I'm interested in...why should I pick the Black woman over happiness?

Basically, if I'm forced to choose between a Black Woman and a Non-Black Woman....I'm going to go with the one I connect with the best. If someone else in that situation is always going to pick Black.....that's their perogative, they value the color of their Partners skin over the connection...

.....but it doesn't make them extra noble because they are supposedly saving the Black Community by waking up next to a Black person every day.

People should chose whoemever they have the strongest connection with.....not doing so could cause other problems down the road...

As for responsibility.....there is a big difference between working for civil rights and/or the freedom of your people......then seeking out single Black mothers....just so you can take care of them.....or even Black women just due to their skin color....not because of your mutual connection. The former is truly noble.....working for the betterment of an entire group....the latter is merely egotistical making yourself believe that the Black community is looking for you to save it/them.

You may Black people sound like chattle, as if they should forgo their feelings and simply get with Black people for the sake of doing it.

People don't go to the "Mate Store" and just pick someone out like they are picking otu cars.

If it worked that way, there wouldn't be any single people of any race.

It sounds to me that you simply "want" Black people to be with other Black people, and you're trying to make up an ideology to support it....by passing judgements on people who don't agree with you.

Peace,

M2