Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectlook at your vocab
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9402
9402, look at your vocab
Posted by johnny_domino, Tue Feb-05-02 12:28 PM
you talk about "selecting a mate", like you go to the mate store, go down the rows, find a mate that looks agreeable to you, and then say "yes, I believe I'll have intercourse and raise children with that one. Along the way, we'll impart our spiritual and social values to them." It's been my experience, that I only find love when I'm not actively looking for it, often times I tend to trip over it or fall over backwards onto it, and especially not if you go out, find a person you think looks like how you want your mate to look and then just wind up with them. I mean, maybe it's easier for women or something, I don't even know if you're male or female, I haven't read your posts carefully enough.

Another thing, have you ever considered the fact that in placing so much emphasis on finding a black mate, and raising black children with an emphasis on blackness, you're perpetuating the rigidity of racial categories just as much as the most bigoted klansmen. Obviously, you're hopefully not teaching your kids to hate those of other races, but in buying into the insurmountable racial differences argument, you're assuring that true understanding of people as people, regardless of race, will never be reached by you or your family. There's nothing wrong with knowing yourself, knowing your culture, where you came from and all that. But when you allow that to limit you as a person, including in terms of who you wanna raise kids with, you're not really moving forward, you're staying in place.

P.S. feel free to use the "you're not black, so you don't get it" argument, 'cause it'll work on me, I'm not black, I'm a blond haired, blue eyed devil.

Nasty like the freaky deaky at your local sleazy speakeasy - MF Doom