Go back to previous topic
Forum nameOkay Activist Archives
Topic subjectmy thoughts on this
Topic URLhttp://board.okayplayer.com/okp.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=9351&mesg_id=9388
9388, my thoughts on this
Posted by Ximo, Tue Feb-05-02 12:35 PM
i think this discussion is straight bs. race is a manmade concept to seperate humans.. a baby boy born with darker skin by "african related" parents (trying to avoid the words) is placed into the "black" cathegory. a baby boy born with lighter skin by "european related" parents is now "white".. crazy!

anyway, let's look at the life of the dark skinned boy. the boy grows up surrounded by "blacks" in a "black" community. his whole life he'll see signs of what "black" is, especially on tv but also in other medias and because of the power of media - even in society. as he grows up, he realize that he is "black". his family is "black", most people he know are "blacks" - his people are "blacks"! from here, he's generally a "black man" and "black" is his identity unless he can detach from that. it's about same thing for the light skinned boy..

am i completely wrong? maybe, but as a twin i know what it's like being labeled something, given an identity, and i really hate that.. i want to build my own identity independantly. detach from the identity given to me by others (i never thought about that i was a twin before people kept telling me and my bro). that's my basis for my thoughts on this topic, and i realize that i can't really adapt to these "race" problems, but that's what i was thinking. don't take it too serious..